Newbie Check-in

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Lord NSIC, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Lord NSIC

Lord NSIC New Member

Good morning all, just checking in as a new member. I'm a long-time cartridge shaver, but new to the DE Safety Razor game, and enjoying shaving again. After 20+ years in the military, the last thing I wanted to do was get up in the morning and shave, so I grew a beard for ten years after moving on. About 6 months ago I picked up a four pack of cartridges ($18 for 4, Ugh) and the first reminder of why I quit shaving came back, but I persevered and got the clippers out and then the second reminder why I quit came back because it was not a pleasant experience. Being too hard-headed I kept at it but considered letting the beard grow out, but then I remembered the Rick Harrison (Pawn Stars) commercial and the statement that you only need a single blade to shave got me thinking. The next time I tried using just the single trimmer blade on the Gillette Fusion; it was slow and not the tool for the job, but it was a lot more comfortable. I got a little nostalgic thinking about my father's TTO razor I used to play with as a kid and stopped at the local antique store and came home with a 1962 Slim Adjustable, a 1965 Gillette Ball-End Tech, a 1974 Super Speed Black handle and a 1974 Knack--they all had a few condition issues but still good razors. After cleaning, the Tech was my first DE shave and I haven't looked back--but now I've caught the razor collecting bug and have added a Fat Handle post-war Tech, a mint post-war gold Tech, two 1966 Travel Techs, a 1948-50 NDC Super Speed (one of my favorites picked up in the "bargain bin everything a $1.00," and this past weekend; two techs for my sons, another 1963 Slim Adjustable and a silver plated 1921 Tuckaway New Improved with blade holder in the original silver plated case for a very reasonable $26.00. I passed on another Fat Handle Tech and the short-comb New Improved with a lot of plate loss because they wanted $24 and after scoring the tuckaway it seemed like a bad deal, (but it will probably come home at some point). Still looking for a Fatboy--sure, I could get one from the bay, but would rather find one in the wild because the search is way more fun.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

timabababaluka and Hembree like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Hello & welcome to TSD.

5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie! Sounds like you will fit right in.

timabababaluka likes this.
  6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Welcome from Foggy central California. I'm fairly new here as well.

We've got a lot of really great collectors of vintage Gillettes here--now it looks like we've got another :D

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

8. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Allow me to extend the warmest of welcomes...Welcome to TSD

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

9. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

11. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

welcome from Washington state

12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

13. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome from Belgium.

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome, @Lord NSIC and thank you for your service. I am an Army guy myself. I got an Army Old Type last year, and just recently picked up an Ever-Ready Army Set. I love the old razors best. However, I have moved on to shaving mostly with single edge razors. Glad to have you aboard.

zwelcome1a.jpg

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..lots of gillettes here.if you have a chance check out the "vintage gillette shave" thread..enjoy..:)

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Lord NSIC

I hope you enjoy it here. You have quite the collection already a bunch of great safety razors. :happy088:

20. Lord NSIC

Lord NSIC New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm expecting my first grandchild in June and found out a week ago that it was going to be a boy (I didn't want to know till he/she arrived--old school). I later told my wife that when he gets to shaving age I was looking forward to teaching him how to shave like his Grandpa. She asked if I was going to buy him a razor and I said that I figured I'd let him have his pick of my razors and get it replated if needed. "So, if he picks the silver plated Tuckaway in the case you just got, you're going to give it to him?" she asked. "Well, let's not be hasty with that, he'll just be learning... jeez, I haven't even met the man yet... She shook her head and chuckled. "Okay, if he picks the Tuckaway I'll give it to him... in my will."

brit likes this.