Newbie question - shave frequency?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Dusty5150, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

I started TWS about a month ago and I have a question, hopefully I can get some advice.

The basic question is, should I be shaving everyday or should I be letting my beard grow a bit in between, while learning? The reason I ask, is that I've noticed I seem to get a better shave when I've let it grow for a couple days. I'm not sure if it's coincidence that I may have started with a fresh blade at those times, and if a blade with 2/3 shaves irritates more when there's barely any stubble; and it's only my neck too, I'm finding that a bit annoying.

I'm sure the answer is that everyone is different, but I'm wondering if there's some generic advice for while I'm learning and my face is getting used to TWS. I guess that's another question, does your face need to get 'used to' TWS when just starting?

Thanks in advance!

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

You're probably getting a better shave after waiting a day or two because your neck is getting a chance to heal. I'm sure you're aware there are many factors that can influence a shave, especially on the neck area: blade quality, lather quality, technique, preparation.

With just a month under your belt (figuratively...I have no idea what's under your belt), you might be better off shaving every two days for now to get used to it all. Focus on the things right now that can easily be improved if it needs it. That is blades, prep and lather. The rest will come with repetition and time.

All that typing and I'm afraid I haven't helped much.

bittermormon and Dusty5150 like this.
  3. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

Thanks Randy ... after I posted here, I found quite an extensive conversation on this very topic over at B&B; it seems as though the majority do not shave every day. I found that interesting, and ecouraging ... now I just have to muster up some will power and be patient :eek:

CyanideMetal likes this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

When I started I shaved 3 times a week for about 2 months, then every other day for a couple of months and around the 5-6 month in I was able to shave every day. Now I shave 6 days a week and take Saturday off.

5. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Everyone's face is different and hair grows at different rates. I can easily get away with shaving every other day but quite often I'll shave a few days in a row. All things being equal I'd prefer to shave daily as I quite enjoy it now, something I couldn't say 8 months ago. Due to other things such as outside influences (events, time, how I feel) I take some days off. Take today for instance. I was planning on shaving today, even had all my stuff prepped. But when the alarm went off this morning after getting to bed late, and because I had such a close shave yesterday, I decided that I'd postpone my shave to either tomorrow morning or perhaps tonight. We'll see, a night shave can be very relaxing and lead to a wonderful night's sleep. Try it sometime!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

As mentioned already it does depend, as for I can shave every day if im using one of my milder razors (but dont really have to) if im using the R-41 every other day, and with the job I have my only requirment is to turn up, no need to be clean shaven.
    Some times I leave it 3 days coz the shift patters mess me sometimes

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I shave every other day because I just don't need to shave every day. I have shaved on back to back days, but because of my job and my beard growth, I don't really need to. Heck, when I first started I would shave twice a day sometimes, because I was so excited to use the DE. Ahhhhhhh, those were the days. Of course my face didn't thank me for it because I think I looked like a tomato. But it was a good learning experience...................of what not to do. I think what Randy said about you probably getting a better shave because your neck has a chance to heal, is correct. I think shaving every other day and letting your face relax and heal a bit will not only be better for your skin, but it will make your shave more enjoyable. Then, when you have your technique down, go to every day if need be.

Dusty5150 and CyanideMetal like this.
  8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

My shaves are so superfly close and smooth, I don't have to shave for 2, 3 days between shaves. What's up? :duel:

:lyrtuy5:

bittermormon likes this.
  9. CyanideMetal

99% of my shaves are at midnight (or later). I'm a night owl and haven't been to bed now going on 36 hrs. I agree, Brian. The house is quiet, boys and wife are asleep. Just a man and his brush...

10. CyanideMetal

:happy097::happy102:

FWIW, I shave every other day too.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Everyone's face is different.

I shave every day. The last day I missed was in August of last year - we were up at 2 AM and on the road at 3 AM heading back from visiting my folks in Maine.

12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

'A Gentleman shaves everyday.' ...

13. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Every other day here as well. I wouldn't mind getting back to everyday 2 pass shaves, but I usually end up doing 4 pass shaves every other day.

14. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Some men look very cool with a few days worth of stubble.
    I don't.
    Does that make me a gentleman?
    ;)

15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

If you get better shaves when shaving every two or three days, then why not stick with that for now? At the very least, it is a reasonably good starting point from your description.

It is not so much that your face needs to get used to traditional wetshaving as the best combination of razor,blade, soap/cream and technique needs to be discovered. All of that will come over time with experimentation and practice.

MrBiggs and Dusty5150 like this.
  16. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

You got it! ... And there's a difference between stubble and a light beard! Miami Vice vs Swamp men!

17. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I usually shave every other day. I wish my beard grew in quicker! Shaving is the most relaxing thing I do..sort of..;)

18. nrcma98

nrcma98 Member

I was in the same boat when I started last summer. I gave a day or two to look at hair growth and discovered that pass one was XHG and pass two was AGH on my neck. Once I modified techniques and shave direction, all was well.