Newbie to Safety Razors - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by adcha1, Mar 1, 2012.

1. adcha1

adcha1 New Member

Hello all

I am keen to start using safety razors but have no idea which one to get and what blades to use.

I intend to use them on a daily basis and have them for the long run.

My bugdet for the razor and blades would be no more than $150.

I have been reading a lot but there is so much information out there that I can't decide.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ash

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am not an expert on the razors; there are so many out there. If there is a store you can go to, and actually handle them, before buying, that would be good. People like different things, in terms of weight, length & diameter of the handle, ect. As for blades, there is no one best brand for everyone. It is a good idea to order a sample pack of various brands.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You can buy a sampler. It is the best way to determine what blade is good for you. Start with a small sampler pack with no more than three blades per brand/class.

Here is probably the best dollar for dollar sampler out.

http://theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=213

It has 3 of each brand so you don't get stuck with what you don't like.

Good fortune.

DLP likes this.
  4. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well there are tons of things you can try and do, but I always recommend Edwin Jagger razors, the DE89,87,86 feature the same head and are probably among the most solid and well built you will find in that and higher price ranges.

As for blades, a sampler would work well, and there are many different ones to try.

This would be my DE86.

d.jpg

5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I agree with the Edwin Jagger suggestion. I just started double edge razor shaving in January. I found the Edwin Jagger 89L to be mild and it is beautiful. I got a blue tip Gillette superspeed(?) for around $15 on eBay and found it mild, as well, and it's lighter than the EJ. Also, the Gillette adjustables and superadjustables allow you to dial in the mildness to aggressiveness. I like my slim adjustable and my long handle superadjustable,especially. Also, the little British Rocket Flairs by Gillette are light and mild. I tried Merkur's long handle heavy duty (heavy in weight) razor and cut myself to shreds.

6. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

The Merkur HD 34c razor is also a good razor to cut your teeth on. That was the razor I've been using for quite a while until I picked up a Fatboy. The Merkur will only set you back about $45. I agree with the others, the sampler pack will give you a view of what is out there. I like Sharks and just recently added Feathers.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

EJ89L is what I suggest. It's the 89 razor with the lined handle for grip, and a sample pack of blades.

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

:signs046: to the Den. A big hello.

I am a firm believer in blade samplers when starting out. You are able to try a variety of blades. I am also a big fan and user of vintage razors, my first razor was a Gillette Superspeed. I would highly recommend a Gillette Superspeed for your first razor.

Bird Lives likes this.
  10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Hello, Ash and welcome to The Shave Den. I hope you enjoy your stay.

11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Hi.. Ashley and WELCOME! Right now there are specials going on Amazon for the afore mentioned Edwin 89. If you check around, you'll see them there for as low as 23 or 25$.. There are some new 10 dollar razors out there but I'm not sure how good those are. Vintage is also a good way to start.. sometimes you can get a great local deal..I have. Techs and Superspeeds are good for around 15$.. maybe 20$ on bay and you could even check out Etsy. Sampler packs are a good idea for blades and sometimes the razor even comes with some. So.. best of luck and once again Welcome.. Joe...

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:signs011: Super Speed and blade sampler pack. Great for starters IMHO :)

Welcome to The Den, Ashley, and happy shavings!

13. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs046: to the DEN

If you haven't heard it enough, I'll add one more vote for a sampler pack of blades. What works well for one person will cause irration for another.

Good Luck and Happy Shaving.

14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

First: WELCOME :)
    Second, I would suggest the following for you:
    -Edwin Jagger DE8* (86, 87, 89 are all basically the same, the difference is the handle appearance), they're top notch razors for new and seasoned users alike, and the quality is phenominal.
    -Sampler pack of razor blades. The more brands the better. TSD Store has a nice setup for a very affordable price, so does Connaught Shaving (They are in England but shipping is quick and pricing is excellent even with the exchange rate), and my other favourite - ItalianBarber.com
    -Creams and Soaps are totally up to you based on your preference for scents. Don't let yourself get discouraged though it takes practice to build a good lather, the more you do it, the more universal you can get with your desired shaving accessories.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.

Sounds like you're getting some good advice. Be sure to keep us updated on how you're doing.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Ash! :signs046:

Do you use a brush and soap/cream already? If not, that's what I would suggest starting out with.

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

ask 5 of us for an opinion and get 20 opinions...

My suggestions for starting:

A) blades: get a blade sampler pack
    B) razor - look through this thread: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/im-a-new-wetshaver-which-razor-should-i-get-pic-heavy.16364/
    C) brush - to start off a cheap badger or cheap boar brush will do you well for a while. VDH boars can be picked up at a log of pharmacies and grocery stores. Shea badger brushes can be picked up at some Targets.
    D) soap - VDH will get you started. If you have a Bath and Body Works nearby, pick up a tube of C.O. Bigelow.

When you are ready to branch out, there are many quality online vendors with many quality products, including the Shave Den Store.

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If you have Rite-Aid in your area, I'd suggest The Real Shaving Company's shaving cream.
    That has to be my absolute favorite "locally" available soap/cream.

Locally in quotation marks cause it isn't locally available for me. :(

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den Ash, a great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the March Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

20. adcha1

adcha1 New Member

Hi All

First of all thanks heaps for the welcome notes and advice. I am actually surprised by the number of replies I got.

I was thinking of getting one of the following Merkur:

Merkur Long Classic 23c

Merkur Barder Pole with Matte Handle

Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Double Edge Razor

I had not considered the Edwin Jagger because my research has so far been on Merkur.

I am definitely getting a sampler pack of blades.

I am also getting a shaving brush.

Would appreciate your feedback on the above 3.

Thanks