Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Joe Rouse, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Joe Rouse

Joe Rouse Well-Known Member

Hello,

I got interested in wet shaving a few months ago when I became very dissatisfied with the results I was getting from my electric shaver.

I went with cartridges (Mach3) and liked the results but was interested in what a DE could do. I purchased 3 different DE razors (Schick Krona, Gillette Super Speed, both purchased from the Bay and an Assured from the local Dollar Tree) and some brushes, soaps and creams. After a few attempts with the DEs I came to the realization that I had a better experience with the cartridge and so I switched back to the Mach3. I have alternated between that and a Gillette Guard. I bought some Schick Xtreme 4s to try out too.

I’m still learning more about the world of wet shaving and I enjoy reading about others’ experiences and recommendations.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Use zero pressure with the DE razors. That should make a big difference in your experience.

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Welcome. The Schick Krona and Super Speed are wonderful vintage razor blade holders and rank among the best loved razors here. I use Astra blade in my collection of vintage DE holders. They are sharp and comfortable. :happy096:

Beard hair growth is different for each person and it pays dividends to study yours so that you are more effective when shaving.

Some do one pass and some do multiple. Some men's beard hair is coarse and some not. Some are thick and others not. So, one technique is not going to work for every man.

I would suggest one thing, enjoy the ride. :happy108:

brit likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den, Joe! You're off to a great start.

Check out the 30 Day Rule/Focus Group, a place where many new shavers have developed solid technique with their razor of choice. A new thread is started each month, but the party never stops. You're welcome to join anytime.

Terry likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

8. Joe Rouse

Joe Rouse Well-Known Member

Thank you all.
    I found the Schick Krona to be far too mild for my needs. I loved the Super Speed. The Assured is really aggressive. Unfortunately I just had a lot of difficulty with technique and I cut myself quite a few times. My eye-hand coordination isn't the greatest. I am a mid-level manager at work and couldn't afford to go in to work with lots of nicks and cuts. My wife was particularly concerned about that. So that's why I stepped away from DE and switched back to cartridge. I am still working on perfecting my technique, and I credit the many videos on DE shaving to help me learn the basics. I do want to check out the link shared above because I do have a couple of trouble spots that I'm still trying to figure out how to address.

SOTD: TOBS Eton College, Echolly synthetic brush, Schick Xtreme 4, finished off with Shave Nation alum block and followed up with Body Prescriptions leather and citrus lotion. This was my first time using the Xtreme 4 and it was ok.

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Welcome! Glad to have you with us!

10. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Regardless of one's profession, blood flowing down the check is not acceptable. I would advocate a very light touch with the cap near against the face angle, and multiple passes. Don't try to do too much with the first pass.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD, I used cartridge razors for well over 30yrs and 3 yrs ago went to DE & SE shaving and enjoy it more than Cartridge. Looks like you enjoy the variety of soaps and shaving brushes that would work well with cartridge razors. Enjoy the knowledge and have some great shaves!

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome from North Cackalacky.
    zwelcome2b.jpg

14. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

17. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @Joe Rouse from here in western NY. Glad you decided to join us at TSD.

:eatdrink013:

S Barnhardt likes this.
  19. The-Pipe-Smoker

The-Pipe-Smoker Well-Known Member

Welcome to the ShaveDen, Joe. :signs046:

S Barnhardt likes this.
  20. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

welcome from Washington state

S Barnhardt likes this.