Newbie's update

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by psyrob, May 25, 2017.

1. psyrob

psyrob Member

Well, I forced myself to follow the wisdom of you sages of shaving and stuck to the 30 day plan, even though every instinct cried out to go buy three different razors, 10 different blades, brushes, soap, oils, etc. Did my 30 days with my Wilkinson sword classic razor, and wilkinson blades with the same home made pre shave oil, loccitain soap and my badger brush. Once I got over my whining, I fully embraced the task: working on my technique and focusing on all the elements involved. Thank you all wise Jedi masters...

I decided that the first thing to switch after the 30 day trial was to a new razor blade and I am now using Treet platinum super blades with all else the same. Already, I am really liking the Treets, they are working really well on my face, smoother and sharper than the Wilkinsons. I was thinking I might just stick with treet, order a hundred pack and only vary the other things, I like them that much. Anyway, I really don't have a question, just giving an update, but maybe do you think it is too early to commit to a blade? I was thinking maybe only start varying blades after I upgrade to a better razor.
    Thanks
    Rob

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome aboard and congrats. There is nothing wrong with picking a blade and sticking with it. If it shaves well for you, than that's all you need. This can be as easy and inexpensive as you want it to be.. lol if you love your money and like having a clutter free bathroom... I'd say bid us a goodnight and a farewell.... lol but stay... and well .. you have been warned... RAD, BAD and SAD... they rhyme and mean trouble..

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

That 30 day Rule you endured helped develop technique and loose cartridge habits. There are incremental improvements still to be made after you plateau and level out the early newbie experience. The fine tuning of trying other equipment can be a similar experience - get something new & master it. Applies to hardware or software, but don't loose focus. Changing one item let's you evaluate if it's an improvement. Change too many and have a bad shave - too many variables to tell what caused a negative experience.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

wristwatchb, Spyder, Fup and 2 others like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Spyder and RyX like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

If you've found a blade that works well in a particular razor, by all means stick to that. I am currently auditioning blades for my '52 Super Speed Black Tip. Shark Super Chrome and Voskhod are in a dead heat. And when I'm done with that I have a Focus with my GEM Featherweight to finish.
    Which brings me to this.
    As has been stated, you can stick with what you have and be fine.
    OR, you can join the rest of us and wallow in AD's
    All depends on how much you have to spend. I've had some great luck at my local fleamarket:
    IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0336.JPG
    Total cost $18
    It all depends on how deep you want to go!

whiteboy_cannon, Spyder and RyX like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. I think you should try a few more before making a big purchase. True, you have found a blade you like, but there may yet be one you like even better.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Glad to hear that our 30 day challenge went well and that you are still here. Keep posting. We like to see how you are progressing.

whiteboy_cannon, Spyder, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

Spyder likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like your doing great. If it aint broke don't fix it. If that blade works and your getting top shelf shaves why worry. A blade is a blade. Enjoy the shaves and congrats on a job well done...BULLY!!!

whiteboy_cannon, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  10. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Shark VS Voskhod Shark all day man. That's just me though.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.
  11. psyrob

psyrob Member

Thanks all. I'm gonna take it slow, change one thing at a time. And the next will be my soap: The hardest technique to master for me is lathering with this loccitane soap, I have a hard time getting enough soap on it, it seems, no matter what I am doing. Finally getting a good lather by adding a drop of water at a time into my bowl while I lather, but it seems to need too much tinkering. Gonna try a cream next, going to a local shave shop here over the weekend, so any recommendations on a cream would be welcome.

12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'd suggest tryablade.com and pick up a blade sampler, at this point. You're now familiar with the razor and the soap. That lets you test other blades with some reasonable knowledge.

From personal experience, different blades react to different razors.... well, differently. So, find the right blade for your face with THAT razor. Then you can consider getting another razor... or two.. or three.....

I think I'm going to call it RADiation. That's when everyone's stash around you makes you want more, and more...

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A blade is a blade. Why try to get a new guy swapping out things before he has the skills? If your getting top quality shaves from a blade that is shaving close a different blade will shave closer? You can only get so close to the skin. Best newer folks learn technique not equipment changes.

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Because he's spent a month just learning the one blade, razor, and soap? Now he's shifted to one other blade, and is already getting a better experience. I'm not suggesting he change everything around. Just a sampler. And no, a blade isn't just a blade. They're all slightly different - if they weren't, we'd all use Derby or Dorco because they're cheap.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you develope solid technique you can use derby and dorco and get the same results as a feather. I do it all the time. Technique trumps tools. Sorry you have never developed that skill set. Does not look like you want to.

16. psyrob

psyrob Member

thank you all for your input, it is all good...I am deciding to vary shaving soap and creams right now, then will make other decisions. In all honesty, I think after trying some different soaps, I think I will look to upgrade my razor. The Wilkinson classic has been a great starter, but it does feel like a beginner's razor, and one that won't hold up for the long long term. When I upgrade the razor, that is when I think I will try different blades. The Wilkinson feels like it might not be the best way to judge a wide range of blades as it is so mild.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome. Good luck with the creams. Proraso and Derby are favorites that will not break the bank. If you have a The Body Shop around they sell a cream called c.o. bigelow. Its rebranded proraso. Its not expensive and in my opinion a very nice cream.

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The Wilkinson is essentially Tech level geometry in terms of aggressiveness. Equivalent to about a three on an adjustable Gillette. It's actually great with sharper blades like GSB and Feather and Bic Chrome.

Once you've mastered the interaction of attack angle and pressure, and learned what a blade is supposed to feel like on your face...try a Fatip or a Joris. It's the other end of the spectrum on aggressive razor design. The Fatip is actually the only 3pc DE in my inventory. Aggressive razors place a premium on manual angle control, and will expose blade smoothness while publishing poor technique.

Once you can get auto true bbs on an aggressive DE, you may just realize that razors are just handle options. It's all technique driven, provided your gear isn't actually defective in some way.

Soap is a great way to explore. Many boutique makers sell sample sizes. Have fun!

Spyder, whiteboy_cannon, RyX and 2 others like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do not have one of those but I do have a solid OLD that I can loan out or maybe PIF when you get ready for aggressive. I think the old aggressive gives better shaves then mild thinking is a myth like pores opening and closing.

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Basically a similar design. I agree with your busted myth, but it only applies to experienced and skilled shavers.

However, aggressive razors bring skill into play, and cut very efficiently when used with SR techniques. I've noticed a general trend, that as skill level increases for converts, they gravitate to sharper and more aggressive, for the reason above. Aggressive requires less pressure, and in skilled hands is more gentle than a less aggressive (less efficient) cutting head.

Spyder, whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.