Newest of the newbies

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by FancyRamen, Aug 11, 2015.

1. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Hey guys, I'm stumbling across this forum in search of guidance and knowledge in the world of safety razors. I'm looking to buy my first kit and give this a go.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A warm welcome to you from North Texas. You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on shaving hardware and software or CLICK HERE!

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

cubancigar2000 likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE

FancyRamen likes this.
  4. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. I just signed up for the giveaway. Thanks for PIF!

5. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Welcome, you have landed in a great place! I am also a newbie so I can only tell you what I did to get started, but it has worked really well for me. I got the VDH Deluxe kit (can be bought at Walmart, CVS, Target and other places) to get a brush, bowl and the soap it comes with. I then bought the Lord L6 razor fromAmazon. It can be had for about $10 and has been great for me to learn using! It is not the butterfly TTO type, but instead is a three piece. I also decided I wanted to try a few different soaps so I ordered samples fromStirling Soap. Then I ordered a couple blade sample packs from tryablade.comto try and find blades that would work well and not give me bad irritation. All have turned out wonderful in my transition from cartridges. Also be sure to check out the 30 Day Rule threads as they are an excellent place to start. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but you will find whatever you get now will definitely just be the beginning!

wristwatchb and spacehobo like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    wristwatchb and wmbjr like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

[​IMG]

wristwatchb and wmbjr like this.
  8. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. You have come to the right place to get a great start. I am quickly approaching my one year mark and the folks here have made it a wonderful experience.

wristwatchb, Boojum1 and wmbjr like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome.
    you've come to the right place. a bunch of fine folks here. tons of information. so ask away.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The link in my signature is a good place to start, but since it seems to appear randomly on mobile phones and not at all on Tapatalk, here it is:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/problems-facing-new-wet-shavers.28857/
    If you make it down to the part where I do give my recommendations, I don't recommend the H.I.S. brush anymore. Instead I would recommend a Sterling, Chisled Face, or Plisson synthetic brush or a Semogue Boar brush. I really don't like to recommend any badger brushes to new folks, as the quality and density of those brushes can vary widely, and should only be purchased impulsively or after much research. :)

12. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Good reading!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Welcome to TSD, you have come to the right place =)

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "FancyRamen"

I wish I had "seen the light" and started "traditional" shaving at your age, instead of suffering with carts for 30+ years.
    Since your looking for advice here goes.
    First off, for the most part there are no wrong/bad choices when it comes to equipment or products, just better choices for YOUR face and technique and only your face can tell you what's correct.. YMMV is a mantra here at TSD.:) Strive for irritation free shaves over super close shaves in the beginning, time will bring closer shaves. Buy a large blade sample pack, the more different blades you can try, especially in the beginning, the better in order to find the blade/blades that work best for you.
    Your probably going to catch some form of AD(acquisition disorder) so don't fret about it, just roll with it and try not to spend too much money!:happy097: The most expensive(equipment/product) doesn't necessarily mean it's the BEST for you. Fortunately/unfortunately you need to try things to know whether or not they will work for you. The more research you do and questions you ask here and at other sites the better. Once to get your equipment and technique together, you will get the ABSOLUTE BEST shaves of your life for the rest of your life.:happy088:
    Time, technique, practice and patience are keys to a close irritation free shave.

Monbonlupin likes this.
  17. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

So I think I am going to start off with a vintage Gillette Travel Tech razor. There seems to be an abundance of then on ebay and they are priced pretty cheaply. Plus a lot of them come with a fair amount of blades. Before I click the buy button, can anyone weigh in on these from personal experience?

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hello and welcome to the Den! Good to have you aboard. The Gillette Tech is a great vintage razor to start with. :happy088:

19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Welcome to TSD...a great place to hang out. :chores016:

20. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Welcome to the journey. The only thing I want to emphasis is to follow @GDCarrington link to the 30 day rule, for me this was the BEST advice when I started and has made everything easier since then.