Next generation collectibles?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Dusty5150, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

I found out yesterday my dad has my granfathers razor and is sending it to me, and I'm super excited, but it got me thinking about something. This is not necessarily shave related, but very generic.

I hear a lot of comments where people say something along the lines of "I wish my grandparents had kept their ______".

I'm wondering what we should be holding onto nowadays that our future family will long for. What will be the item that my great grand children say "I wish I had great-grandpa dusty's ____". I find it funny to think of them saying things like "WOW, I just find my grandfathers second-gen iPod, I can't wait to get it working again" or "I just found the best score in my grandfathers dresser, a Motorola bluetooth headset!". It goes even further than that, for example, if I could go back in time I'd tell my grandfather to buy a couple of cars and put them in storage immediately, but what cars nowadays are going to be as sought after as say a mint original '56 Bel-Air with less than a hundred miles on it? It seems weird to think that a 2011 Ford Focus might be worth something someday LOL. I wonder if our fore-fathers had any of the same thoughts.

I definitely plan to keep on passing on the existing heirlooms I have, but I'm really curious as to what people think we should be caching away for our future family?

blazeadam likes this.
  2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I don't think electronics of today will be a big for collectors. No, we need to think the really revolutionary ideas.
    For cars:
    Toyota Prius
    Bugatti Veron

Maybe an original pair of Crocs.

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

Crocs is a neat one for sure. I could see that.

I guess this would also be a personal thing. For example, I play disc golf, I have for years and I always will. I'm sure someday, it'll be cool for my great-grandkids to have my collection of frisbees, my discs that I use that have my name on them, my discs that I've got hole-in-ones with that have the dates on them etc.

I agree with you on the electronics, they'll probably just laugh, like we do at Commodore 64's and Atari's.

4. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

I bet anything hobby related would be of interest. That seems to be the problem with cars these days, it's no longer a hobby. The industry is all about economy and convenience now instead of passion. The problem with electronics is that it gets outdated quickly and is no longer of use. It would have to be something that transcends time like a guitar or a chessboard. Maybe a watch.

You could pass down bowling balls or golf clubs if you do that, but they might not even end up bowlers or golfers. That's the great thing about shaving, for the most part everyone does it. Even if the person doesn't end up a wet shaver at least a razor might peak their curiosity in wet shaving. The necessity of it gives people something to relate to imo.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

If you can keep them from degrading VHS tapes will probably be collected when they're extinct kind of like vinyl records are now. Even better will be your DVD's and CD's when those are phased out and everything is streamed from the net.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have some of my Dad's teaching memorabilia, including an old school microscope. (Like him, I teach biology.) That is one of my favorite legacy gifts. I could see passing that along to another generation.

7. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

We live in a disposable world, this includes all electronics. Just about anything these days is meant to be used and replaced. Find somethign eternal, something that was built with quality and meant to last, and that is an heirloom. A good set of Golf Clubs, a nice Rolex watch, a Piece of art, sturdy wood furnitue, maybe something you built yourself.

8. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Well I already have a couple of heirlooms for my son as you can see on this thread - a NOS/Mint razor from my birth year and quarter and a hammer. He is also looking forward (at 11 years old) to inheriting a few other razors, most shown here.

I agree with the idea of watches (we both got the same one for Christmas) and high quality pens.

I'd saved some of my hard one sporting trophies from school and regional championships - but at 11 he has more trophies and larger ones just for turning up and playing :angry019:

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good pens are great heirlooms. Another favorite (that I would surely pass along) are my grandmother's Shabbat candlesticks.

10. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

2 things come to mind for me. My Chef's knives and PM's I'm stacking.

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Maybe predicting what will be next generation valuable collectibles is impossible but perhaps looking at collectible categories today and figuring out which one's will likely hold or increase their value in 30's years might be the way to do it.