Next vintage razor suggestion?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Macktheknife, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

I have a Jagger + a nice ball end Tech, a good Flare Tip, and a Red Tip. What non adjustable Gillette should I try next? What would be a nice step up from the Red Tip?

Thanks!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I like the Gillette rocket 1940’s style. They’re great shavers and a bit more aggressive than the flare tips. Another one to consider is the late 1940’s Aristocrat. It’s another smooth shaver.

Enrico, Herm2502 and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree on the late '40's Aristocrat. Mine shaves great and feels like a Fatboy on setting 5 or 6.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

GEM Damaskeene. :happy088:

Wait that's not a Gillette. :eek: But that't my vote. :signs136:

Zykris, jimjo1031 and Jim99 like this.
  5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

My NEW Long Comb is a great shaver, and they seem to be fairly readily available. If you like your ball-end tech, the pre-war fat handled tech with triangular holes shaves a bit differently and is awesome. If you can get one, the British Aristocrat Jr (looks somewhat similar to a 40s Super Speed) is a nice shaver as well.

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Damaskeene is one of my favorites!

GarnerPW and Zykris like this.
  7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

A New LC or 40s Aristocrat. Both are great shavers, Aristocrat is my go to razor, though I do like my new and I've heard great things about New Improved but they are a little bit tougher to find/more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 and Jim99 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

New LC, another great shaver..............

Jim99 and Stu929 like this.
  9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Krona. Lots to be found at reasonable prices.

Or, Blue Tip....Black Tip.

All excellent razors.

Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. jimjo1031

yep........

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I prefer a 3 piece, but my 46-47 Aristocrat gives the best shaves from a non-adjustable TTO. So I'd vote for the Aristocrat. :happy088:

Stu929 likes this.
  12. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Ditto!

13. Macktheknife

The Aristocrat is garnering votes. Please tell me what I need to know to select s good one... Or perhaps better still, what to avoid. Macktheknife

Jim99 likes this.
  14. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Many you find will be missing endcaps and have plate loss so if you search on ebay make sure to ask for pics of the head. If you watch you can likely score one in a flea market or thrift shop. I think I sold my spare aristocrat but I believe I still have a spare New and 40s SS.

Jim99 likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

It doesn't affect the shave but the nicer the plating the better. Other than that the TTO must function(open fully/close tightly) properly and make sure neither guard bent and the blade exposure is equal on both sides. Check that the end caps are there, again it doesn't affect the shave, but you want it as close to how it came from the factory as possible. These are some questions to ask the seller and make sure you can return the razor at his expense if it isn't in the described condition. :)

Jim99 likes this.
  16. Macktheknife

Okie dokie. I posted a request in the wanted to buy forum...in case any members are looking to sell a nice Aristocrat.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Happy Thanksgiving.

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I didn't find the Aristocrat shave much different than the Red Tip.

I would look for a New Improved or New Deluxe. Both are great shavers.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I wonder if something was wrong with my Red Tip? It was efficient but felt like sandpaper. I did not enjoy the shave at all whereas the Aristocrat is both efficient and comforable.

Enrico likes this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Another vote for the GEM Damaskeene or also any Schick Injector....maybe an E2 if you are looking for aggressive or an I2 if you want milder....Or F type if you are looking for hard to find collectables that shave fantastic !

The World of SE and Injector razors awaits you....Check out this Shave Den Party...Flip through these Hallowed Pages...There are almost a 1000 pages of SE and Injector razor pictures...I'm sure there is more than enough evidence here to wet your appetite... http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/injector-se-party.23113/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Jim99, Zykris and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This is a great suggestion if you want to try something with a different feel to it. Injectors in great shape can be found at excellent prices, and are a way to experience a different shave. Quite a few us here got a hold of one and never looked back.

Bird Lives, Jim99 and Zykris like this.