No. 53 Aristocrat Junior

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jake, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

One of the 1st vintage razors I purchased -- back in my early days of collecting and searching for the best shaving razor -- was an Aristocrat Junior. I purchased it from a TSD member who no longer seems active here -- but had a very nice uncased Junior.

I have since found quite a few of this esteemed razor -- cased and not -- with the solid head plate and not. But I never had one in as pristine a condition as this one -- complete with the shipper and price listed.

This could be polished a little more, but with the cardboard head "blade" and the original blade case and full instructions -- this set is straight from the time machine. And if you haven't yet experienced a shave with a British made 1949 (or 1950) Gillette Aristocrat Junior -- I heartily recommend it and hope you can find one to try out. You're bound to love it.

[​IMG]
    12 pounds sterling (printed on the side flap also) -- seems pretty pricey for its day.

[​IMG]
    With the solid -- hefty and well-balanced -- base plate.

[​IMG]
    Great nickel plating.

[​IMG]
    Simple head protector and razor instructions.

[​IMG]
    The 1949 model No. 52 -- what a great razor and wonderful shaver.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is one excellent razor, case and instructions.
    Great find!

3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Wow excellent razor and condition. Nice pics.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

5. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

man talk about a mirror finish...

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Another good'un Jake!

7. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

great NOS #53 set. Congratulations!

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Schweet! That's a beauty.

9. Stephen Beckwith

Stephen Beckwith New Member

I know this thread is old. The OP mentions the price written on the box as 12 pounds. I think its more likely to have been 12 shillings. I was born pre-decimal in the UK and thats how pounds/shilling/pence were usually written. So, 12/- 12 shillings/no pence. If it were pounds it would have been 12/-/6 (for example 12 pounds, no shillings and sixpence) Here is some info confirming the liklihood of this being the correct format for that pricing. https://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-coins-writing.htm

10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The shilling was a coin worth one twentieth of a pound sterling, or twelve pence. So 12 pence x 12 (the price printed) would make this set price £1.44 - one pound, fourty-four pence ?

11. Stephen Beckwith

Stephen Beckwith New Member

Last edited: May 24, 2021