no joy with DE and head shave

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by Etoyoc, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I keep trying using a DE on my head. But as my daughter has informed me, I have an oddly shaped head. Every time I try the DE I get irritation, cuts, and scrapes. Oddly enough, I get good shaves with a head blade and even better shaves with a fusion. I quit using cartridges on my face because cartridges leave me with irritation and cut and DE/SE shaves are comfortable on my face. It annoys me that I appear to be dependent on cartridges on the dome. I don't even like to use cartridges in my fountain pens...

Yes, I know... watch the angle, yada yada yada.... but I either accomplish nothing, or I get cuts and bumps, there is such a small zone for error that things haven't worked out well. At one angle nothing is being cut. I increase the angle and my scalp is cut instead of the hair. An adjustable set at 1 does nothing. An adjustable set at 2 leaves wounds. I have tried the Lord L6, a tech, a super adjustable, a weber... none of them work as well as a cartridge.

I am just frustrated and venting. I have the dollar shave club website opened in another window and may need to be talked off the edge before I give up and go down the dark path of cartridge dependency...

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

before you buy in to the club- I wonder if a one or two blade cart might be a good compromise? Trac II, Atra, or Sensor or something similar.

EDIT: I haven't tried a DE on my head because I am afraid of damage to my noggin. I have in the past used an electric with great success. That might be another alternative.

You can find trac II compatible carts in bulk for reasonable prices via ebay. Reasonable = a little more than average DE blade prices.

PLANofMAN and alpla444 like this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I would advise you to try the trac 2 or atra instead of the Fusion. There's no shame in using an electric on the noggin either if it works well for you. I use a battery operated single foil on my ever expanding forehead myself.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. newb

newb Resident Newb

The best head shaves I get from d/e are from the very mild razors. The ball end tech, the Futur and Vision on a gentle setting, Lord L6, and old Star (tech style) d/e. I've got to agree that the Fusion rocks on the Noggin, but the blades are so expensive.. I've been using a Shick Quattro, IMHO it compares well against the fusion but the blades are half the price. (just a thought) . But really if the head blade works for you, enjoy it. Doesn't it use the cheaper trac II cartridges ? It's all about enjoying the shave, no matter what the hardware...

alpla444 likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm not a head shaver, but I can't argue with that statement at all. :happy088:

ohpaos, xCarbonSteelx and alpla444 like this.
  6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

If the atra, trac II, or sensor won't work, then check out dorco usa's cartridge selection before you sign up to any club. You can get multi blade carts for much less than Gillette.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I just rechromed the dome after my buzzers would only leave strips. So to keep from having to buzz, shower, buzz, shower, just so I can see the misses, I said screw it and grabbed my 89. Pure porpoise-esque perfection. A did end up with a nick, but figuring I haven't shaved my head in over a year, I was pleased. I am experiencing some pimples on the back of my neck though, but overall not too bad.

Sorry about your less than desired performance Justin. I'd say keep at it bro, but your head isn't my head, so do what causes you the least amount of grief. :) I'm sure you'll figure out what is best for you.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have been using the Wilkie Atra II blades from Walmart on the headblade. not as close as I would like, but no nicks. I tried the Dorco atra II blades last week and they tore up the noggin...
    Actually, I picked up a pack of Quattro a little while ago at the grocery store. Although once I got them home and out of the package, I was concerned about the pivot angles. But after your post, I will give them a try.

9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Back when I was shaving my head every day I tried DE, SE and injectors and they all took way too much time. My favorite ended up being the Personna Magnum M5, it seemed every bit as efficient as the Fusion but much more affordable. I don't know if you've ever checked out this site www.slybaldguys.com or not but I hung out there when I was a headshaver. They have some good advice there.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup... I have seen the M5 mentioned over there. I haven't found it in local stores, but if the quattros don't work, maybe I will see if I can order those online. I am wondering how those 6 bladed dorco monsters at KMart would do.

11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I think Dollar General carries the M5 razors.

12. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

DG still carries them, and some of the stores have their version of the M5, looks the same just has a different name.

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

OK, will have to give them a shot then... thanks for a store suggestion!

14. raag

raag Member

I definitely preferred a multi-blade or Headblade-style product on my head on the few occasions I shaved my head clean. I think it's difficult to maintain a good angle with a DE on a bumpy bald head.

15. Mike Ptomey

Mike Ptomey New Member

I love my DE on my face and I couldn't wait to try it on my dome. It felt great on my head but the contours are more difficult to navigate. So far I have missed a few key spots with my DE and had to go over it multiple times. It takes to long and dulls my DE blades quickly. I now use the Dorco 4 blade cartridge razor and it has been the best bang for my buck. Nothing beats the feel of the DE but the Dorco 4 blade gets it done faster and doesn't require more than two passes.

16. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Have you tried a variety of blades also?

17. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

i had the same problem when i first stated wet shaving. nicks, cuts, scrapes, etc. i recently picked up a Weishi gunmetal razor, and it is not aggressive at all. i shave my head, pretty quickly with this razor without a hitch, or nick, or cut, etc. it is very forgiving. even with a feather blade.

18. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well.. this thread was started over half a year ago. I don't know why it was suddenly resurrected. Yes, I tried a number of blades. Yes, I managed to get a DE to work. Yes, I managed to get an SE to work. I still get a better head shave in the shower and I won't use a DE in the shower so I am still using cartridges for the head shave. However, I don't have to.