No luck at all

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by NoahG, Apr 23, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

I don't know how you guys can be so lucky with your finds. I tried a couple of antique stores today and all I came across was a beat up old injector and gold gillette in a box, don't know what it was, but it had an open comb and said new on the inside of the lid. And of course it still had the ubiquitous old carbon blade in it.

2. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

No Worries - That is how it goes for me as well. I live over in Bremerton so I wonder if it is a Washington thing. I found a few nice things here and there but mostly come up empty handed.

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

No luck for me at the antique stores either, I have had better luck at a flea market year before last, prolly time I head back over there and scope it out again.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I dunno......plenty of blade banks out there. :D

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Blade bank?! :think002

:rofl :happy097

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Starting to get that way out here on the east coast.

Even when I go to see my folks in Maine, where there seems to be an antique store on every corner, I seem to come up empty.

7. NoahG

NoahG Member

I think Jody is secretly buying them all up!

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Here in Montreal, it's so rare to find anything worth buying wetshaving wise. Once in a while, a good DE or straight pops up, but very rarely.

9. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I've had better luck but I sort of cheat. My wife has a business called "Organizing Options of Illinois." She helps people downsize. This typically includes liquidating the estate of an elderly parent who has passed away, and those who are moving away or into a nursing home. She runs Estate Sales, Garage Sales, and just helps people sell their stuff. Needless to say she has developed a nice network of antique dealers. Some of them call us whenever they get shave gear in stock. Please don't hate me, but I guess I get first dibs. I often get texts from Mara (wife) in the middle of my day with pictures of razors attached. I now turn down way more than I take. I often just don't have time to deal with it. I also ran out of space about 10 razors ago. Check out her website, I built it myself. You can tell because it's very simple and bare bone. For a shameless plug I will say she really treats people fairly and does a great job.

http://web.me.com/dslazar9/Organizing_Options/Homepage.html

As far as antique stores and flea markets, yes the selection has thinned, but I still find stuff. Hate to give away a secret fishing hole but there's an antique mall in Gurnee, Illinois that still has an ample supply of shaving gear-DE, Str8, SE, Mugs. I walked out of there with a huge box of gear last year. My brother, who just got sucked into this last month, got a decent haul from there a few weeks ago.

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

did you pick up that gold Gillette? I'm betting that was a NEW. I have one and I love it. It's the razor I shave with most every day- just a touch aggressive, but not as much as some others (say, an m.p. r89 when they were open comb).

I'd suggest you go back and get it if you did not. Those NEW are good razors.

11. Woodmaker

Woodmaker New Member

Fayetteville,NC antique stores.

right now me and my wife are visiting old buddies from my time here in Bragg and I decided to go out hunting for razors in the local stores.
    we hit 6 stores,2 of them were the kind were many vendors sell their wares,long story short,I found one(1)Gem Jr,which I did not buy and in another I bought(odd)a Omega boar brush(new)and a tub of Cella shaving cream.
    then we went to the local flea market in Bragg Blvd and after I walked the whole market I found this very weird(weird to me)old fella and we talk some,he is Army retired and he has this place full of junk in there,I ask him if he had any old razors and he says that he might,well,he look under one of the cabinets and he pulls this 1908 Gillette open comb brass built safety razor and says,here,$30 and so I got it.
    other than that,people seem not to know what am talking about when I say safety razors and no luck at all in the search for old shaving goodies.maybe if I expand my search to Sanford I might get lucky.

12. NoahG

NoahG Member

I checked the NEW on ebay and thats definitely what it was, but it was in pretty bad condition. The handle looked like it was peeling apart and the box was pretty ragged as well. If it had been a little better, I probably would have gotten it. In the "Vintage Boutique" next store I apparently missed a couple of straights by an hour or two, but their prices were astronomical.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Hmmmm, if only there were a pic of this.....:rolleyes:

14. Woodmaker

Woodmaker New Member

old Gillette.

yes there is now...my apologies,I should had thought about this before,here is a few pics I just took right now.can someone let me know also if I have the razor I think I have?

Attached Files:

15. Tforc

Tforc Member

grr Washington

Found that all the thrift stores recycle razors call them weapons or unsanitary still looking 30miles north of seattle
    B
    ps wish me luck

16. ginsu

ginsu New Member

I've found only one decent razor here in Vancouver. The antique shops have very little (and I have scoured them). I got my Aristocrat at Camas Antiques. They had a couple injectors and a Rolls (I didn't know what that was at the time...) in a glass case, but not much else. I think folks just pitch 'em thinking there's no interest/value.

I haven't ventured over the River yet, but don't expect it to be a lot better considering how heavily trafficked antique/vintage stores are in PDX.

17. newb

newb Resident Newb

I've had better luck at flea markets. I do find the occasional razor in the antique store , but most of the time they are way overpriced and in bad condition

18. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I live in a town which is noted for its large number of antiques stores. I haven't visited all of them, but the ones I did, all I ever found was an over-priced Rolls with a cracked hone. When I ask if they have any shaving stuff, they typically say no.

At our local flea markets I've seen one no-name DE, probably modern Chinese, and a couple of straights that didn't even look like good candidates for restoration.

Well, that's why they call it luck, after all.

19. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

time frames...

On any given day, not lucky at all. Over 10 yrs, pretty lucky.:D

20. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

My problem is not knowing which ones are worth buying and which ones aren't.