No Variation November - A TSD Challenge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 23, 2015.

?

Can you stick to one kit for 30 Days?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2015.
  1. Yes! I can do anything for a month!

28.9%
  2. No. I like variety too much.

35.6%
  3. Hah!! I see right through this, Samurai is promoting 30 Day Rules!!

20.0%
  4. I am just here for the cookies.

15.6%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No Variation November Challenge

image.jpeg

Greetings Denizens!

In 2014, @Shotwell started a thread for something called "No Variation November." (Logo courtesy and is the work of @Shotwell ) This thread is to float the balloon and gauge interest for November 2015, and can serve as home base for the NOVember Challenge. This is not my original idea, but one that I like very much.

It's simple:

1 brush
    1 razor
    1 brand of blades
    1 soap

All used exclusively for one month.

No other rules. No variation. No change over the month. Plan ahead!!

Techniques trump tools, and NOVember is a great month to perfect technique before we all get wrapped up in the holiday hustle and bustle. Spending a month with the same tools will also make December's variety all the more special! We had a blast last year!

Have a razor type you can't figure out?
    A brush that you can't get quite right?
    Recurring issues from constantly changing razors?
    A favorite blade you haven't spent time with lately?

No rewards, only pride for finishing. No penalties for dropping out either. We had several participate last year, and quite a few finishers too. You can check out last year's thread here:

NO-Variation NOVember - one razor, one brush, one setup, one month. Can you do it?

I hope some of you will join in, especially the new converts! 30 Day technique exercises have greatly increased my enjoyment of the razors in my collection. What will it do for you?

To declare an entry, just declare your kit here before November 1. All denizens are welcome to join up, all razor types and experience levels can participate. That's all it takes!

I suggest donating five bucks on the forum donation page, and place "NOVember!!" in the comment field, because that will look really cool if a bunch of us did that!

To participate, just post your new, original NOVember kit photo on SOTD, SR of the day, or the 30 Day Rule thread. Also feel free to post here for discussion and fun with the other partipants.

Warm Regards,
    Chris

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Great idea, Chris but I did the SEptember & OCtober focuses and I have other razors that are calling out to me. But I will be doing a one razor, one blade, one week personal focus and will be following this thread. I found the other two to be quite enjoyable, informative and got to know a few more TSD members a little better.

Good shaves to all.

3. Bama Samurai

:happy088:

wristwatchb and Dzia Dzia like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Chris, a great idea. Since I already have my 30 day focus planned out for November, I pass this year. Maybe next year. I will be following along and wish the participants well.

5. Bama Samurai

Thanks Clint for the bump!

Dzia Dzia and wristwatchb like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Chris, I did this last year, but I'm bowing out this time. With my October Old Type focus I've pretty much had a No-variation October.

My November is going to be a "New" November. Not the Gillette New, though. I have at least 5 razors that are "new to me" that I want to use: 1937 Sheraton, Star DE, Schick adjustable, Gillette Goodwill, and an early Super Speed.

7. Bama Samurai

Thanks Herm!

Dzia Dzia, wristwatchb and Herm2502 like this.
  8. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I will be jumping in on this Chris. I'm going to focus on taking the challenge with a straight razor. I will need a few says to narrow down my soap choice.

30 days of one soap? Ouch! that's the hardest part..lol

9. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Hey Chris - that's a great idea. I thought about concentrating more on technique instead of changing setup almost every other day ... and this is a nice opportunity for me as a Safety Razor Newbie.

So count me in. Can I post my setup later? Not sure about some of the hardware yet ;)

10. Bama Samurai

Absolutely! Welcome Aboard!

11. Bama Samurai

Welcome JR! I know just one soap is hard!

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

No November is not for me. Wishing all participants the best. Have fun! Brush Man will help with the shenanigans though. ;)

13. Bama Samurai

Thanks Mark! We're counting on you!

14. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Since my legal issues I have not been able to prepare my Rolls or my straights so I may do this. I'll have to think about what to use in blade, and soap and razor. I'll use the WD synthetic for the brush.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well I've been tossing ideas around for November so why not eh? I've neglected my Feather SS so I'll use it with Kai AC Milds, and BoSFat. No clean up DE either. All or nothing with the SS.

16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

You're counting? This should get 'er started.

17. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I'm in! Great idea and a much needed challenge for me!

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm in!

Weber PH
    Astra SP
    Vie-Long 13061M horse
    The Soap Exchange Tallow
    Ogallala Bay Rum

My Weber just keeps coming up as my go to razor, so I'll just keep it up. I pulled out my VL horse this week and remembered why I like it so much. The Astras are the only blades I can put my hands on right now (I have a box of many others, somewhere, still packed after the move). I'm giving the TSE soap an honest trial by using it until it is used up. I'm settled in to Ogallala as my normal aftershave every day.

So there you go.

19. Bama Samurai

Troy! Welcome back!

Troy M, Dzia Dzia and wristwatchb like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Welcome to the challenge!

Dzia Dzia, wristwatchb and Joef like this.