Non/low scented aftershave products

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Arvan, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Arvan

Arvan New Member

Hello once again folks!

After my recent post regarding my soon to be purchase of my first ever wet shave set up, I am ready to purchase but there is one thing that I am missing... aftershave.

Now, after shaving (I've only ever used electric and I've noticed this) my skin always burns and it lasts for about 4 hours of uncomfortableness. So I am thinking I am pretty sensitive to shaving haha. What I need advice on is what kinds of aftershave lotions/balms have you used that you find effective but are also unscented or the scent wears off very quickly. I generally do not like the smell of AS and prefer to use my colognes to make my girlfriend weak in the knees.

Any suggestions?

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

TSD -Joanna's splashes and balms are top quality, and are available in a variety of scents, including unscented.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Witch Hazel

BamaT and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Superior 70 has a light bay scent that doesn't stick around too long. It is 65% alcohol though, so there is a little burn if your technique is off.

5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm. It has little or no scent and contains no alcohol. Every nice stuff.

6. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

I recently purchased the Axe Shield aftershave balm for sensitive skin. It's low on fragrance, but one that my wife really likes...she's not too keen on the old school barber shop scents. It fades quickly and makes your face feel terrific.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Nivea Energy and Lab Series Moisturizing Aftershave Soothing Spray

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Task Essential Balm is very lightly scented. So is the Grooming Lounge ASB.

9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I second that.

Very good stuff. Perfume is last on the list of ingredients and lingers shortly.

10. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

I HAVE to put in a vote for EMJ (Every Man Jack) Post Shave lotion/balm (they have both). It's nourishing to the skin, is not oily, is fairly inexpensive, leaves no residue and has little to no scent - depending on which verison you buy. I believe the 'sensative skin' version is scent-less. In fact, after I shave, I apply EMJ, let dry for a minute or two and then either spray my cologne or apply my 'designer' cologne-aftershave lotion on top of my EMJ...just for the scent. No scent or chemical reactions, for me.

Go to their website and find out where to buy their products near you if you're interested; a few places that used to carry the line in my neighborhood, no longer do.

11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I tried on several occasions to use about 3 or 4 different electric shavers. My face was very irritated, plus I got a terrible shave. In light of my experience, I think your irritation may be due to the electric shaver, versus having very sensitive skin. But, having said that, you will benefit from an aftershave, or at a minimum witch hazel. I like the regular Nivea after shave for something with a light scent that goes away fairly quickly. It does contain alcohol, but doesn't burn like some alcohol after shaves.

Edit: I shaved for many years with the latest and greatest cartridge razor, without ever using aftershave, unless I had a particularly bad case of razor burn. When I started DE shaving, I also began using witch hazel followed by an after shave. My face definitely feels better.

12. immobileman

immobileman Member

EMJ for me too. I am going to get some TSD aftershave milk very soon though. It is alcohol-free and has tremendous reviews.

13. Erik Redd

Lab Series Razor Burn Ultra Relief is an unscented lotion that's very soothing, but I think it leaves the skin feeling a bit greasy in wet, humid climates, but I think that applies to most balms and lotions.

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use Nivea sensitive post shave balm also and it works "GREAT" for me!!

The real problem however is your face burning for hours after your shave. Basically you've got razor burn,my face reacted the same way(30+ years) to using carts..I would have to shave the night before going to work so my skin would heal at least little before morning..I also thought I had overly sensitive skin, then after I switched to "traditional" DE/SE shaving(proper presure and technique,along with much better products)the razor burn disappeared completely and after 2 years has "NEVER" returned!!! ;)

BamaT and BigT like this.
  15. Arvan

Arvan New Member

Wow thanks for all the suggestions! After reading all your posts and reviews online, I ordered Nivea Sensitive post shave balm and I will give that a try. I just got an email saying the first part of my order for my shaving kit has been shipped (the razor sampler pack) so hopefully the rest will follow soon and I can let you all know how it goes :D

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Erik Redd

A lot of the Nivea products are in the shave sections of Walgreen's, CVS, grocery stores, etc. They must be pretty popular. You should see what's readily available when you can, you maybe able to avoid the shipping charges when ordering online.

GDCarrington and BamaT like this.
  17. Robzilla

Robzilla Well-Known Member

+1

18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

This would be my choice too or at least a Bay Rum of some sort. Most don't stick around too long.

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Masters Bay Rum has a little burn to it, but the scent fades quickly. And it's not very expensive.

20. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

^ this