Noob Q - Merkur HD, Progress or Parker?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by olafurson, Feb 21, 2009.

1. olafurson

olafurson Member

Sorry, fellas. I've spent all day "researching" my first double-edge razor, and still can't decide. Please help.

Obviously, the Merkur HD is commonly recommended. I just can't see myself enjoying "screwing" around with it.

So bestgroomingtools.com points me to a Parker double-edge gunmetal-colored twist-to-open, which looks pretty and seems convenient. But is it as solid/well-built/whatever as the Merkur? I like the idea of a twist-to-open, but is this the best choice?

And then I start thinking, that Mergress sure looks awefully cool - until I get one of those, maybe I ought to "practice" with the Progress as my first unit?

<groan> Like I said, please help. :(

ps: I have no interest in a "vintage" razor at this point. I'm looking for something brand-spanking shiny new. Thanks!!

2. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Go with the Merkur HD as your first DE razor. Once you get the hang of it, you can check out the Progress/Mergress to completely customize your shave settings/aggressiveness, etc.

I only used a Parker model a few times, and ended up selling it. Wasn't built solidly enough for me (uneven blade exposure).

Welcome, and Good Luck! :cool:

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

There have been a lot of complaints about quality in the Parker line, especially in their Twist To Open (TTO) models. It is generally not suggested to start with an adjustable razor such as the Progress as the adjustable adds another layer of variables and confusion to the learning process. Of the three you suggested, the Merkur HD would be my suggestion. However, have you considered vintage razors? You can often find vintage superspeed (SS) or tech razors in the classified sections of this site. Typically, the three usual suggestions for starting off would be a Merkur HD (2 Piece razor), a Gillette Supersped (TTO 1 piece Razor) or a Gillette Tech (3 Piece).

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Some thoughts:

1. Go with a razor that you want to use. You could buy the best razor in the world, and it'll do you no good if you just don't like it.

2. Check out Weishi razors. They're twist to open (TTO), made new, and generally available. Just google them and you'll find a vendor. They're known for being mild shavers.

3. If you ever want to enter the vintage razor scene, this site has some good entry level TTO razors (super speeds) listed in the classifieds. Also, there are some generous members who might cut you a good deal if you've got some specific criterea in mind.

And finally:

4. I'd suggest you avoid the parker and progress. I've read multiple reports about quality control issues. The silo doors don't close right, blade doesn't line up, etc... The Merkur HD gets high marks from everyone who's tried it. You might also check out the 33c, a.k.a. the Merkur classic, which is a three piece razor. I like three pieces- you might consider it if you're turned off by the HDs two piece design.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

The Parker TTO's tend to have uneven quality control but the 3 piece ones are great. I have a 91r and love it. However, the 3 piece one's tend to be aggressive and are probably not the best choice for a first razor.

The suggestion about Weishi is a good choice for a first razor. They are a mild shaver, easy to get and inexpensive. A good tool to learn with.

Don't really know anything about Merkur's so no comment from me on that

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Parkers are said to have gone up in quality. Weishis are still off and on. Some are great, some suck. I bought an HD as my first razor and have gone through tons of others, but I still come back to it all the time because it is great. If you get an HD you will never outgrow it and could go forever without ever getting another razor. It wont happen, becuase you'll get RAD, but it will always hold a place in your heart.

I strongly suggest the HD, its great.

7. rainman

rainman New Member

Yes, the HD. I wish I had started with it.

8. fatcity

fatcity New Member

I would say none of them.

I bought an HD off the bat, and found it a hit and a miss. Mostly, every shave I ended with a moderate razor burn.

My father gave me his '55 Super Speed (he no longer used it), and it did the trick. I found that after about a month to six weeks of using the Super Speed, I had significantly improved my technique compared to the 2 months I had been using the HD. Better shaves and no irritation.

Now I went back to the HD and get great shaves from it (better than the SS).

9. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Merkur HD all the way.

Issy

10. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Late to the party, but the HD is a great started razor. Blows Superspeeds out of the water in my opinion. I've moved onto a Merkur Slant, but you honestly can't go wrong with the HD. Great, consistent quality that works.