Noob Question About Badger Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by 808Chaney, May 29, 2008.

1. 808Chaney

808Chaney New Member

What will a Silvertip Badger brush do for me that a Pure Badger brush wont. My wife and daughter want to buy me a new razor and brush for Fathers Day and I want decent quality but I don't want them to go overboard on cost. I've pretty much got my razor narrowed down to either a Parker 89 or a Merkur Slant (leaning a little more to the slant) As far as brushes go, I only have a crappy boar brush and a small Pure Badger Brush (the one from The Art of Shavings small sample pack that costs $38.00) Can somebody point me towards a brush that is decently priced say between $50 and $75 and a little more on the larger size? Sorry to keep asking all the noob questions but all the same, thanks for all the tips and advice everybody has given.

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Take a look at some of the brush reviews Here.
    There are all kinds and all prices. Many will drop by later to share their experiences, I'm sure. :D

3. Hi Chaney,
    Always nice to type at a new person, and maybe I can even offer a suggestion or two. Hehe, you're a lucky husband and father to have such understanding family members.......see how long THAT lasts........ (I'm kidding of course).
    Anyway, another razor option would be the Weishi, which gets mostly very positive reviews. Personally, I think they look great......especially the two toned models. The only thing that may not work is they're known to be on the mild side. So, if you have a fairly heavy beard this wouldn't be one to try.
    You can find a nice selection over at www.razorandbrush.com . The owner (Giovanni) is a good guy to deal with.
    I looked up a few of your posts and see you started this crazy shaving brush thing pretty recently. They ARE fun to use, aren't they? You already have experience with two lesser grades, so you now have some sort of reference point. I can tell you that a nice silvertip can feel and act noticeably different than what you're using now. Granted, my experiences with different brushes has been few, but I remember when I was exactly the same position as you are now, with the same decision. I'd also started with a boar brush and moved up to a mediem grade of badger. I was looking for a silvertip brush, but didn't quite know what to expect when I found it.......heh.
    Here's the problem Chaney: It's very difficult to find a well known brand of silvertip brush for under $100. I'm thinking Omega or Vulfix may be ones to look at, but that would be about it, and maybe not even them. However, there may be one option to consider...one that I almost decided on.
    From what I've read, the best bang for the buck would be a Rooney. You might like to do some reading about the 'Style 2 or 3, in the 'small' size, with a 22mm 'super' badger knot.They run $75, and have always seemed like a bargain to me. Plus, I really like the looks of the #2 handle. I'll include a picture taken from www.vintagebladesllc.com which is where I'd recommend buying if that's what you decide on. I've never ordered from the owner ( Jim), but many forum members have nothing but good things to say about him and his service. Oh, I've also seen those brushes in different colored handles. The ebony looks amazing. One thing though, is you need to read about the knot used in that brush. It's silvertip I believe, but not the powderpuff, soft and fluffy kinda thing. Pretty interesting brush.
    Ok, that's it from me. Good luck with whatever combo you decide on, and welcome.....'enthusiastic hobbyist'.......heh.
    Martin

Attached Files:

4. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

On a badger, just as on any animal, you have finer and coarser "bristles", the silvertip uses the smoothest part of the badger hair, while "pure" is the average, overall, hairs. It'll lather creams and soaps no matter what you choose, but for that extra luxury feeeling I recomend a silvertip! "Because you deserve it!" :p

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Umm, let's not forget the Kents. Given your price range, you might want to consider them. I have both of these and frankly, I notice little difference between the 2 and the 4...though Rick and I have agreed to disagree about that.

They are very soft so if you're looking for stiffness and scrubbiness, these are not for you. However, if you want a reasonably priced brush that will produce mounds of lather from any soap or cream on the planet, and will feel exceedingly luxurious while doing it, consider a Kent!

Left, BK4 ($81). Right, BLK2 ($53), plus carriage, of course. And yes, the handles are the same size.

Attached Files:

6. Michael's right about the Kents...... I forgot about those. Are the ones pictured silvertips? Although I've never used one, his description seems right on the money (from other members posts as well). They have their own 'cult' following......heh. They aren't the one if you're looking for a dense, yet somewhat springy brush.

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

The BK/BLK2 is a "pure grey badger" per the Kent website. The BK/BLK 4 is a Silvertip. I swear I can't tell the difference! Rick says he can though. :)

By the way, I just remembered, they're also available at The Gentleman's Shop at lower prices...$44 and $67!

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

..........and of course I reply, "Don't forget about the Shavemacs".
    Pure badger from $26 and finest badger from $40. Website is HERE.
    The "finest" is as close to silvertip as you can get, in fact it's better than some silvertips I've had.
    His prices on the sivertip brushes are reasonable as well!

9. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I like my Tweezerman, but when SBAD eventually hits me, I think I will go with one of these Shavemacs:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Gee, this is the 2nd post in two days where I sing the praises of the Havanna brush from Em's Place :ashamed001 :
    [​IMG]

This has been my daily brush for the past 6 months or so (even though I have some majorly-excellent brushes, including an SMF-III from Rooney, a Shavemac VLB, and a Shavemaster). Its labeled "pure" but its actually closer to a "super" as far as I'm concerned. Firm without being "prickly" and works very well with both soaps and creams. Water retention is excellent. And at $40 a great value!

--Mark

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Good info so far

I'll ask this:
    are you a bowl latherer or a face latherer?
    My recommendations would differ according to your preference.

First............get the Slant. If it doesnt work for you now, put it away for awhile and come back for it later. You will ;)

Second......for around $75, I would suggest the Kent BK4 for bowl lathering or the Rooney Super (in small) for face lathering.

If you want to go a bit higher:
    Definitely ShaveMac Silvertip.
    My desert Island brush :D

12. 808Chaney

808Chaney New Member

Thanks for all the info everybody. I really appreciate it. There are a few automotive forums that I frequently visit and when you ask a question rather than getting an answer, you get "Use the search, theres been dozens of threads on exactly what you asked" That hasn't been the case here at The Shave Den. Everybody here seems genuinely ready and willing to help a noob. You guys are great!!!

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yeah, we're kinda warped, ya know? :D

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen a post here that said, "look it up yourself." The closest I've seen to that is, "check this thread", where someone looked it up FOR you and posted the link. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again...nice bunch of folks here!!

Glad to help where we can!

14. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

+!