Norton on order

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by emmijack, Jan 19, 2013.

1. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I have just ordered myself a Norton 4000/8000 combination waterstone, I was tempted to get a yellow Belgian coticule stone, I read several reviews on the coticule and all of them praised it's performance, but the reviews for the Norton were better, I already have a dragons tongue welsh slate hone which is around 8-10000 grit which I figure will be a good finishing stone to give a polished edge.
    Anybody have any thoughts or advice on this please

alpla444 likes this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Just some clarification

A "Dragon's tongue" is a medium grit stone, I think you will find that a Norton 4k - DT -8k will be much more advantageous progression to the edge..

alpla444 likes this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

You should be in good shape for maintaining your razors. A 1000 grit stone can be handy too especially for bevel setting and antique store finds. I know nothing about your Dragon's Tongue stone but it will be easy to figure out if it improves on your 8k edge or not. A coticule are nice stones but you never know what you have until get it and use it. If you need a finisher you can always use lapping film if your Dragon's Tongue doesn't work out.

4. emmijack

Thanks for your advice gentlemen, is lapping film also a type of mylar, I think I read it in a thread somewhere???

5. emmijack

198 (1024x612).jpg
    As Promised a picture of my new straight setup, The norton 4000/8000 arrived this morning from classic hand tools as this was the cheapest I could find it anywhere, £71.44 and free postage, anyway now I have it I'm looking forward to being able to maintain my razor, although I feel a need to add a few more straights to the collection
    maybe not this month though or my wife will have me sleeping in the shed!!!!

alpla444 and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    If you get time Google "gssixgun, Honing" you will find multiple Vids on my Youtube channel, several on using specifically the Norton, and even one on Lapping them :)

emmijack likes this.
  7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I use the same strop and Norton combo stone. I do have a diamond plate for lapping and a 1000k King plus a coticule and a thuringen Celebrated Water Hone. You should be able to slip in a couple of sheets of lapping film if needed without anyone noticing (3um and 1um). It's -14 degrees here this morning the shed sounds a little chilly.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Even if you don't have time, you should still watch the vids.

gssixgun likes this.
  9. Kenrup

Kenrup Member

Norton stones have long been the standard in honing razors. The most important thing about Norton is to get them flat and keep them flat. I run a diamond plate over them every session. The flatter they are the quicker they cut. Using a Nagura stone frequently will also cut down your hone time.

10. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Might be a good place to do your honing undisturbed. :)

11. emmijack

Unfortunately my garden shed is 6ft x 4ft, and I am 6ft 4in, so i would have to sleep with my feet sticking out of the door!!!!