Not again!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Nov 23, 2008.

1. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not again what? :confused:

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The guy re-plating common Aristocrats to look like rare Pre-Presidents or something.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ahhhh......got it now. :o

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

But he says its an aristocrat and that it was gold. And the starting bid is $2, so anybody going crazy on it wishing it were a president is doing so on their own.

6. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. Although this guy does state in his auction that the razor is re-plated and the reason for doing so I am still scared of the outcome of this and similar auctions.

Because the auction is secret you and I and any newbie have no idea of the buyer of this razor. That could lead to the buyer being unscrupulous and putting the razor up for auction as a mint or near mint example of a very rare Gillette razor.

Unfortunately the current seller is doing nothing dishonest or against ebay rules at this time. So we all have to be on the lookout for any auctions of similar razors that do not list the item as being re-plated.

I guess you can say with this guy and any one seeing a similar razor for auction: "Buyer beware!"

7. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'm pretty certain the lesser conscientious will try to pass this off as a prez next time around... :angry019

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Maybe not. When he sold re-plated Fat Boys a while ago, they went so high that there wouldn't be much to make on a resale. What I see as an issue is if someone tries to pass this off as a "rare" nickel-plated Aristocrat similar to the very seldom seen nickel Toggle.

Truthfully, though, I wouldn't mind having this if the plating job was done properly. It does look pretty nice.

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'd like it re-plated in gold, if any...

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Agreed, but at about $800 an ounce.... :eek:

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, @ 1 micron I'd guess the cost for replating an Aristocrat wouldn't even be $10 in gold value...

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Well, if you send it to this place, the minimum charge will be $60. Go for it, Johan! It already has a nice fresh nickel base coat! :D

OR, for much less money and hassle than that, just buy a nice Aristocrat that hasn't lost its gold plating. I have typically gotten very nice ones with cases for about $50. ;)

13. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Just another vintage auto bumper!

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I don't know -- my shaves aren't as good with a De Soto bumper as with an Aristocrat. :happy102

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, that is not the GOLD VALUE, I guess they charge for the service too.. You stated $800 an ounce for GOLD VALUE... apples and pears...

16. JayKay

Well, if a minty president comes up with perfect plating and no case in the next 6 months, than dunn dunnnnnn dunnnnnnnnnn.

17. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

DE Soto? Man how old did you say you were? :happy102

That dealer has said he marks the razors somehow so they can be identified.....perhaps a little paint!

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

at least it looks nice. i hate gold razors.

19. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

It does make a nice lookin razor.

20. JayKay

Sure does. I know one of you are bidding on it.