Not-even-a-real-review: Starbucks Sumatra

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

What'd you go with?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I recently received a free bag of whole bean Café Verona. I have to say, never having tried it before and am usually wary of most Starbuck's offerings—it made a pretty darned good cup!
    On the plus side, the wifey enjoyed it as well. Now at least I can keep an eye peeled for another store-bought whole-bean offering that is often on sale at the local market(s). Peets seems to rarely be on sale....

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Verona is indeed a great coffee :)

Tomorrow I will get four pounds of coffee in the mail...I hope I like this mysterious berry-coffee....

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Very cool!

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

After a rather disappointing experience with the Komodo Dragon coffee I this morning returned to Sumatra...and may I just say that I am very happy :)

7. Mr. Shaverman

Keep your mainstream 'Sumatra' and let us hipsters ride the Dragon.

Actually, I've made the jump to 100% tea 100% of the time.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The best part of waking up....

"mmmmmm...folger's crystals...."
    [​IMG]
    :D:D:D

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Folgers, founded in San Francisco I believe.

10. Mr. Shaverman

It was. 1850. Part of the gold rush phenomenon, I believe.

Totally a side bar: If you look at the history of coffee in the US, you find that all of the grocery store big can 'crap' coffee was at one time primo stuff when it came out. Popularity and mass marketing caused it to become the garbage that we know now. I always keep that in mind, knowing that one day Starbucks will be there in a 3lb can among them. If I had grandkids, I'd fully expect them to roll their eyes at my big can of cheap Starbuck coffee, just like I made fun of my grandparent's for loving Maxwell House.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Well they've already gone to pre-packaged pods and little insta-packets. Can big ol vacuum-sealed cans of sawdust-textured coffee be far behind? :eatdrink013:

12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I do not buy "Six-Bucks Coffee" aka "Starbucks" you can get a better cup of coffee at Home aka your own kitchen....maybe I'm a Cheap bastard. My dad taught me how to make coffee.

13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Could not have said it better myself.
    "Staff NCO Mess" coffee or "CPO Mess" coffee is the best.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, it's $1.90 for a 16oz coffee. $1.80 when you bring in your own coffee mug. You also get a free refill so I guess technically it comes down to 90 cents/16 oz coffee.

I also prefer to grind and brew at home and there are some great starbucks coffee beans like the Sumatra.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

…and the Café Verona are probably the only two I'd consider from Starbucks. Less than two bucks for a big cup of good tasting joe isn't really outrageous. I never was one to go for the über-fancy coffee drinks loaded with sweet syrups, whipped cream, flavorings & the like. I see folks dropping $5-7 daily on those dessert drinks. ;)

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Mr. Shaverman

Yeah, penny per ounce, Starbucks is cheaper than Denny's and most other places. You only pay through the nose if you don't really want coffee, and want chocolate and caramel and any other numer of sweets to drink that actually cover up the taste of coffee.

17. Dapper-in-a-can-man

[​IMG]

A partner exclusive that Robin brought home! I can't wait to try it but Robin isn't even sure if she wants to open it. :eek:

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe she's right...the 'buy it now' on eBay for a bag like that is $60 :) - and I see one that have actual bids over $30

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  19. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Hmmm... She actually talked about it lol but it's sorta special.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had some of this on Sunday morn. My sons' GF works for Starbucks. Made a 1.25liters carafe on a gold-filtered Technivorm.
    Brighter than the dark roasts I'm accustomed to (no surprise as most C. America coffees tend to be on the brighter side.), I found it pleasing enough, although my wife gave it a thumbs-down (tough crowd!).
    Slightly nutty, with a clean mouth feel (no oiliness ). Nice cup. Not all that memorable, but 'not bad' in this dark-roast-preferred taster's opinion. Certainly I wouldn't pay the going price for this coffee.