Not-even-a-review Review: Starbucks Yukon Blend

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ended up at sbux yesterday and realizing I was indeed running low on coffee at home I decided to pick up a pound of a coffee that I had never tried before but have heard good things about: The Yukon Blend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've always thought I was a dark roast kinda guy for life but recently I've found that I am really enjoying the medium and blonde roasts so I decided to stray on to the less-dark-side.
    I liked seeing that this uses Sumatran beans as the one exposure I had to the Kenyan beans at sbux was somewhat of a lackluster experience.

Will have the first cup of Yukon java tomorrow morning - anyone have any thoughts on this Sbux offering?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have not, but I'm open to try it if you're results merit the coffee worthy of sampling. :p
    I haven't had the best experiences with SBUX coffees in recent times. That said, I did, however thoroughly enjoy their Café Verona—so who knows? ;)

Timelord likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well our taste buds may be similar then as Verona, along with Sumatra, is my favorite coffee there :)

Timelord likes this.
  4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like Happy Mug Coffee's. Their beans are cool

5. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Komodo, Kenya, Sumatra Ethopia, Brezza, and Kati Kati are my favorites.

6. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Oh, I can't forget French Roast :p

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite blends, I think I recommended it to you at one thread. So that tells me, like Komodo Dragon, you won' t like this. I hope you do, I hope you pick up the subtleties.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yes you did so obviously I was a bit hesitant to buy it after that whole Komodo Dragon disaster :)
    Well, I should know around 7:15am PST tomorrow morning if it's another Komodo...or actually good.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

No update, so I'm assuming the bear on the package killed you.

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I ended up having enough coffee beans from my existing stash so I didn't get to open the Yukon this morning :)

11. Mr. Shaverman

I read that as "I'm afraid to try yet another disappointing coffee. :("

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Nah, I'll get to it tomorrow morning :)
    [​IMG]

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

@Mr. Shaverman SO, finally got to my Yukon bag this morning.

The verdict:

I rather like it.
    There is very little acidity to it and I appreciate that.
    It's bold and there is an interesting almost 'spicy' taste at the end of it.
    The flavor is very neutral. Don't get me wrong it has a great coffee flavor but it doesn't quite 'take you' anywhere. It's very solid and comforting.
    The caffeine content is also probably pretty high - this one woke me up :)
    I found myself drinking my cup faster than I normally do as I kept wanting to go back to it.

This may actually rival my two current favorites (Verona and Sumatra) as my favorite sbux drip.

I also notice that I am finding myself drawn to medium roasts these days so maybe that's part of why I find this coffee so appealing.

Overal CUHPR: 8/10

Some background tidbits about this coffee:
    "Developed in 1971. Yukon Blend® was originally developed for a fishing captain, who needed a gutsy, robust blend of coffee to satisfy his crew while they were out on the Yukon River, by the Baltic Sea. It stood the test of time and has been enhanced in recent years to be certified organic too."

14. Mr. Shaverman

Glad you like it. It's one of my favorites, as I think I said before. It doesn't get a lot of love and I don't think I've ever seen it as a brew of the day in the stores, but it's a good, solid bag of beans.

Nah, pretty sure they designed it for bears to drink, or maybe Jack London.

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

It's essentially the only Starbucks coffee variety I don't care for. I'm glad you find it more to your taste than I do.

Granted, when I first had it, I was very ill and my taste-buds were not registering flavors the same way they typically do, but the memory of that first cup tainted the variety for me when I got better.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I actually even brewed myself a cup this evening as well which is rather unusual for me :)

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Bag description say, "Lively Acidity…" :think002:
    You say, "There is very little acidity to it…"

Are we prey to false claims of the advertising world again?!
    Does 'lively' mean 'barely noticeable at first, but fun once the music starts'?

Bag, again, says, "...balance and liveliness of Latin American coffees…"
    You state, "...it doesn't quite 'take you' anywhere."
    Does 'liveliness' then mean 'perceived movement or motion'—or pehaps it implies a 'movement of the peristaltic nature'—alluding to a caffeine-sensitivity reaction & all that, you know?

I'm so confused….:D

Timelord likes this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It is quite possible that my acidity-sensitivity is lacking. I googled around a bit and saw mentions of the coffee having 'medium/average' acidity.
    Maybe liveliness means strong caffeine - in that case I would agree as it really did wake me up :D

HolyRollah likes this.
  19. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

If you want the Yukon experience, put a shot of Crown Royal in it and cuddle up with a Husky.

Timelord likes this.
  20. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

. . . while prospecting for gold and listening to a hockey game on the radio?

LevelupShaves and Timelord like this.