Not-even-a-review Review: Starbucks Yukon Blend

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So same old, same old.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ok, it's 'official'...this may now be my favorite sbux blend.
    Great solid flavour coupled with a nice, faint spicy aftertaste.

It's a robust cuppa. I like.

3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Komodo's way better. You should try it again after you finish this bag.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That. I will not :)

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

:)

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That doesn't apply with food or drink though. Pallettes change and perceptions do too after being exposed to different things.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I guess there's some truth to that - just like how we perceive a certain razor/blade, etc.

I may do a pour-over of it at a sbux location :)

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Found myself low on coffee and at Starbucks...picked up a pound of yet another coffee I have never tried - The Guatemala Antigua.
    I picked it for two reasons;
    a) I'm finding I like medium roasts more and more, and
    b) It was the only coffee with only one bag left (so I figured, in a slightly gullible way, that it must be a decent one.

[​IMG]

Ground up some this morning and I have to say I like it quite a bit.
    I'm terrible at describing flavors but this coffee has almost a sweetness to it.

Is it as good as the Yukon that I just tried? Not sure yet. The Yukon was a very, very good coffee and it might be that the, to me, apparent sweetness to the Guatemala may be a bit too much..then again...I got a whole pound of it to help me make up my mind :)

Since I am bad at describing flavors...I'll let this very excited young man do the honors: :D

I can't help to wonder if what he is on is medicinal or not :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This was also a most excellent review video :D

9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

If this one is available in your area, I cannot recommend it enough:
    [​IMG]

10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Is that new?

11. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

New-ish; it's been and gone around my area, but it lists as still available on their website. Because of the drying process, which leaves the coffee fruit on the bean longer, it winds up with a very strong berry flavor that - to me - tastes like chocolate-covered cherries.

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

After gone through four pounds of berry-tasting coffee I might just pass on that one :D
    Link: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/harrar-longberry-coffee.39339/#post-698796

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I just got an email form Peets on their new limited release of "Jamaica Blue Mountain"—100% Jamaican, grown on an estate that dates back to the 1800's, processed by hand in a plant of the same era. Peet's Jamaica Blue Mountain is subtly complex, sweet, smooth and perfectly balanced - worthy of its renowned origin."
    At a shockingly-steep $90 a pound (1/2 pounds for sale @$45), I think I'll pass.
    [​IMG]

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I especially liked that it's $90/lb and at sale for $45/half a lb :)

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, 4-5 cups into the Guatemala Antigua I think I can say that for me it's no Yukon.
    It's good - just not as good as that. I'll happily finish the pound but I don't see myself buying it again.

Next I want to try that Peet's(?) coffee that sounds like a last name. Hm, gotta find that somehow.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm not a huge fan of the overly sweet coffee drinks - BUT if you are, there's a deal starting today and runs through Sunday where if you buy one of the holiday drinks between 2pm and 5pm you get a second one for free.
    [​IMG]