Nothin like a wet shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dapper-in-a-can-man, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

What parts of traditional shaving do you enjoy the most? I always see which aspect we find most important but not enough of which parts we enjoy.

2. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I really enjoy face lathering. I mean whole hog, super wet, messy face lathering. That and running my hands over a fresh BBS shave are the high pints for me.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The whole SR process:
    1. the selection of the razor
    2. the linen & leather stropping of the razor
    3. lather-making and application, usually 'face-lathering'
    4. the lather 'removal' typically done in three passes
    5. final rinse and refreshing splash of a menthol aftershave

4. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

I really enjoy not bleeding. Thats only part sarcasm. Cartridge shaving never agreed with my face. The post shave comfort has been way better with wet shave. Second to that would have to be the smells. I like the wood tones and classic barbershop scents I can get with this hobby as opposed to the perfumey or generic smells from the canned stuff. Also, just the process. warm water, loading the blade, creating the lather...even the cleanup. Turns something that used to be a chore into something I enjoy doing.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The selection process is by far the most enjoyable part of the shave for me. Picking out the razor, blade, soap, brush, aftershave and cologne are the high point of the morning... Preceded only by the first cup of coffee.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  6. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Face-lathering with well-made shaving soaps is my favorite part of the process.

7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

For me it's the soap selection and bowl lathering. I'm taking in the scent as I'm building the lather, anticipating the shave.

8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I like the choice of soap/cream, to combine them with the best brush for the job. Then there is the scent, the lathering, the shave itself, the post shave, the feeling of a close shaven face. And I like to look at my razors, brushes, soaps, creams and whatnot and then to consider myself a lucky guy to have found this hobby! :happy108:

Oh, and the anticipation. Tomorrow I'll use [fill in as required]. It will be grand! :happy093:

9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Rinsing off the alum, a pat dry, then rubbing my face and feeling the BBS smoothness.

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

real lather.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Oye..the whole thing is such a pleasure..I'm telling you..:eatdrink013:

12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

probably the smell and the feel

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmmm....
    My favorite part of the wet shave...

;)

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The whole process. Selecting a razor, stropping the blade, building a lather, smelling the lather, shaving, knowing that I can do something that scares 80% of men, feel and scent of the aftershave, cleaning up the razor to get it ready for next time.

Norcalnewb, Spud, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  15. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Strop to aftershave I can't imagine a better way to start the day.

Hot towel after lathering (second hot towel). At least now during winter.

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I enjoy the stinging sensation of alcohol AS after a close shave.

Norcalnewb, dscaver, Spud and 2 others like this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I enjoy picking out the gear I want to use that particular day. Figuring out what aftershave to pair with what soap. I also enjoy the whole shaving process as well.

18. Dapper-in-a-can-man

For me it's feeling a new blade on the first pass with a warm rich lather to ending with a close shave to the splash of Fine across my face. I need some Floid.

Norcalnewb, wristwatchb, Spud and 2 others like this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Honestly, not having itchy five day growth on my neck is the best part. What I use to get there is a secondary matter.

Norcalnewb, Troy M, Spud and 3 others like this.
  20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

+765443

Norcalnewb and macaronus like this.