NOV 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred method of making lather?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2015.
  1. Scuttle

12.3%
  2. Bowl, warm water

33.3%
  3. Bowl, cold water

3.5%
  4. Face lather, warm loaded brush

47.4%
  5. Face lather, cold loaded brush

8.8%
  6. Shave stick, warm water

8.8%
  7. Shave stick, cold water

3.5%
  8. Aerosol Foam

1.8%
  9. Lather is for the weak, I dry shave.

1.8%
  10. I am just here for the cookies

3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Greetings fellow Denizens...

It's time for a new month, and a new 30 DAY RULE or 30 DAY FOCUS!​

The 30 Day rule was a concept invented by GDCarrington, and it is something I strongly recommend for a brand newbie. I endorse and recommend a 30 Day Rule as the foundation for learning shaving in general. It greatly accelerated my learning curve, and helps to develop techniques that transfer across all razor types. The 30 Day Focus is geared more toward those who are more experienced, and gives more latitude to explore the interaction of technique and hardware.

On this thread, you are likely to see a mix of both things, and a wide variety of skill/experience levels and equipment. Some guys will go with themed months, but all 30 Day exercises are welcomed. All thematic elements seen in posts are unofficial with regard to this thread. All razor styles and experience levels are welcome here. Please read the above links, pick an exercise, and join in the discussion! This thread is based upon the idea that "Techniques Trump Tools." If you have shaving issues, we have solutions, from DE to SR! Great shave experiences, 30 focused days at a time, are what we aim to achieve.

Our discussions are motivated by the ideal of exploring and finding the best shave techniques for each individual. The discussion can be far-ranging, and this thread wanders quite a bit at times. We touch upon just about every aspect of shaving, and I guarantee someone on this thread knows the solution to just about any shaving issue. I encourage each user to use quotes when replying, so that we all can follow the discussion. Seek solutions, help someone out, meet the other members, master your equipment--but mostly, come be a part of a vibrant and dedicated group who knows how to keep the fun going! The only things required to participate are a decision to do a 30 Day exercise, a love of traditional shaving, and a desire to be a part of the TSD community we call the 30 Day Crew.

Special Message to New Shaving Converts: Welcome! You have landed in the right place. We love traditional shaving and we love people who love traditional shaving. Lots of good reference found >here<. If you are new to TSD, please go back and click that link...it will help you make sense of our acronyms and chatter. We are glad you joined the best shaving forum on Earth. TSD is participation driven...you should read SoS (SOTD) too! It is central to the goings-on at TSD. Feel free to jump in and post pics! It is probably the easiest way to get a feel for TSD and meet the regular posters. They love pics. Coming up with unique and/or interesting pics daily in October is an implied challenge. :) Good luck! Have something to ask? Please do! This thread is primarily about shaving technique, but discussion often touches upon just about any shaving topic out there. You are the reason this thread exists, and we welcome your participation, regardless of experience level. Also, if you are new, be sure to register for the November Newbie Give-Away. Moderator @RaZorBurn123 runs that drawing as a welcome for the new guys each month. We are glad you chose to be a member of TSD!

The housekeeping-

Support your forum here. TSD is a user supported community. I am a proud user of a TSD exclusive product almost daily. You may also donate funds using the link on the forum page. And FYI, PIF culture runs very strong on this thread!

:( Things we don't talk about:

Politics
    Religion
    Neal's Rapira Shave
    Other Forums and People

:) Things we do talk about:

Cookies
    Technique and Gear
    Shenanigans
    The Alabama Crimson Tide
    Whatever the day brings...

These are the rules. Follow them. This thread operates under the idea of the Golden Rule and being a good neighbor to all. FYI, everyone is your neighbor on the internet. :happy088:

So, now that all that has been covered...let the shenanigans commence. It is gonna be a great November!

Thanks for reading!

image.jpeg

Thanks for choosing to be a part of the TSD community! And be to sure to say hi to Igor and pick up a cookie!

Chris

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Billyfergie, Keithmax, Bill_F and 7 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

November:

I will be doing a rigorous 30 Day Rule with my original DE--the Utopia three piece. It is an R89/EJ 89 clone and will be used daily with Proraso Red, Plisson synthetic and Gillette Silver Blue. It will be interesting in that I haven't used this razor in 2015, and will be neat to see if I am better with it than I remember.

image.jpeg

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Joef and 9 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I originally wanted to make this a Schick Repeating Razor month, but I got an Aristocrat a week or so ago, and I just have to try it. So, I am going to have a week with the Aristocrat, and then the rest of the month will be dedicated to Schick Repeating Razors.

Joef, Redfisher, Bill_F and 7 others like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

And BTW, just to keep Igor somewhat happy, I will be sure to use some Voskhod blades in the Aristocrat.

Joef, Bill_F, RaZorBurn123 and 6 others like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

:happy088: +1 on Igor

6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'm doing a rule for no variation November. I'm using my Super Speed, I forget the year right now, Proraso white, my WD 20mm synthetic brush and GSB blades. I only have 2 aftershaves right now, clubman original and Nivia sensitive post shave balm. I'm almost out of the Nivia but I'm holding off on buying more until I see what the box tour brings. I might find something I like more.

Speaking of the box tour, it should come to me at some point this month and I'll have to try things on my head shaves since I don't want to break my focus. It will be hard.

Billyfergie, Joef, Bill_F and 8 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

30 Days of Arostocrat perhaps? ;)

8. Bama Samurai

:happy088:

Sometimes I wished I shaved my head so I could experiment like that! It's a cool plan!

Joef, Bill_F, RaZorBurn123 and 5 others like this.
  9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I usually dont but Halloween worked better with a shaved head. And worked well for me to both complete a rule and try the box. I'm going to let it grow after the box comes. I like to be wooly for the winter.

10. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

November:
    Schick type F
    Schick blade
    B&B Essential boar brush
    MdC Lavender shaving soap
    [​IMG]

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Igor and the boys say thank you.

Russian-Mafia.jpg

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm on the NOV(variation)ember bandwagon. Here's the scoop.

Razor - Feather SS Artist Club
    Blade - Feather Pro AC
    Brush - BoS - Omega 10066
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Post - Most likely a lot of cold water, alum and styptic, bandaids and other assorted aids in stopping arterial bleeding.

It's been a couple of months since I last used the Feather and I have gained decent skills with it. This is the month to master it.

Oh, of course shenanigans when you least expect it!

NovemberFeather.jpg

13. Bama Samurai

Keep Ivan away from the Kamisori. Otherwise, the over/under on sutures goes to +3.5.

wristwatchb, Bill_F, NCoxSTL and 4 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Also, is this live-without-DE-safety-net?

wristwatchb, Bill_F, NCoxSTL and 4 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

The word around the campfire is that the F type is a race car of razor design...

16. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I really love that Kamisori style shaver. Have to get one of those one day :happy088:But I guess I'll go for the lime one.

17. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Okay - ready for the challenge. This is my setup for the upcoming month:

november Kopie.jpg

- D.R. Harris Sandalwood Soap
    - Semogue 620
    - Mühle R89
    - Gillette Silver Blue

Yeah - that's exactly my intention with using the Mühle. And I use this challenge for a proper boar brush break in. ;) The Semogue is pretty new, I only used it 4 or 5 times before. ​

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My plans and goals for my November Focus:
    • Unique photo each day
    • Focus choosing my preferred workday razor. Shave off between Mongoose and Wolfman
    • Brushes used will be three of my favorites. Rubberset 400 #3, RV Shavemac and RV TGN Finest
    • In an effort to finish up some soap, I will use 3 soaps for all shaves except TSD Sundays. If one is finished during the month, I will add another.
    • Continue my effort to master using a shave stick.
    • By the end of the month, I hope to have picked one of these razors as my preferred workday razor.

19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I am disappointed that you haven't found a Russian blade for this beast.

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

11/01/2015
    Razor – Mongoose B2 with Triad Helix SS
    Blade – Feather Pro (1)
    Brush – Rubberset 400 #3 with WSP HWM
    Lather – TSD Signature Scent
    Post - Witch Hazel and CC Bay Rum

[​IMG]

Thank goodness the Mongoose is intuitive to use because it's size and weight through me off a little to start. With the Feather Pro blades, it takes me 3 passes and touch ups to get a near BBS shave and today was no different. I would grade the closeness of the shave as an A- and the smoothness and irritation as a solid A. I am sure the results will improve over the next week as I get back in the groove with the beast. I would only give myself a B on lathering the TSD soap from a stick. ( I kept the empty tub for pictures ;)) I failed to load enough soap on my face before starting. I am glad that most of the soaps I am using this month will be in shave sticks. Finished off with a splash of Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Hope everyone has a great Sunday.