Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by hrairy, Dec 15, 2015.

1. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I'm new to this whole thing. I remember watching my dad shave with a safety razor years ago. I want to start using a safety razor and I have no idea where to start. I do have a full beard, however my cheeks and neck require shaving to keep it neat. So I don't do a lot of shaving daily. How do I know which razor to get? I'm not up to paying a fortune for a razor, but I don't want to get a piece of junk either.
    Do I go new or vintage?
    What are the best blades?
    See, I'm full of questions and don't know who to ask. Someone point a dumb newbie in the right direction please.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Go grab some munchies, a favorite beverage, pull up a comfy chair and click this ---> *click*

3. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

Cool!! Lots of stuff there. Thanks.

Joef and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I had so much fun with wet shaving that I got rid of the beard in my avatar. There are a lot of options. I started with a razor, one type of blades, soap and a brush. It kind of went crazy from there.

Douglas Carey, txskimo and Robyflexx like this.
  5. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I have a tendency to go overboard when I do something. Years ago I saw an old Singer Sewing machine. I can't sew but I liked the way it looked. By the time I came to my senses, I had 27 old sewing machines dating as far back as 1897. I hope I can restrain myself with razors.

John Beeman, Spyder, BamaT and 6 others like this.
  6. swarden43

Nope. Don't see it hap'nin' :D not with razors, brushes, blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, colognes... :happy102:

RyX, BamaT, youngunn and 7 others like this.
  7. swarden43

Oh, yeah... lather mugs, shaving scuttles, display racks...

8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That link is great, but if you want a shortcut...

1. Go to italianbarber.com and order the Plissoft Synthetic Shaving brush, the Razorock Soap that sounds best to you, and 20 Astra SP blades (enough for 30 days plus shipping time while you wait for the follow up blade sampler later).
    2. Go to ebay and pick up a Gillette superspeed or flare tip. You should be able to find one in decent condition for under $25 shipped.
    3. While you wait for those to arrive, go check out the YouTube videos from Mantic and Geofatboy.
    4. When your superspeed shows up, give it a thorough cleaning using some hot water, dish soap, and scrubbing bubbles.
    5. When you soap and brush arrive, practice loading the brush and face lathering 5 - 10 times before actually shaving.
    6. Shave. You should pick up the DE technique fairly quickly, though it may take a little more time to master building a proper lather (at least it did for me).

Spyder, Douglas Carey, BamaT and 6 others like this.
  9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

You are going to fit in here fine. Let me introduce you to some of our acronyms:
    • AD- Acquisition Disorder
    • RAD- Razor Acquisition Disorder
    • SAD- Soap Acquisition Disorder
    • SRAD- Straight Razor Acquisition Disorder
    • BAD- Brush Acquisition Disorder
    • ASAD- Aftershave Acquisition Disorder
    Joking. (Kind of.) My best piece of advice is to get a simple set up to start, and learn how to use it. Chasing the next piece of equipment thinking it will get you a great shave is a pretty deep rabbit hole most of us go down. There is a 30 day focus group that can really help you get started on technique. Welcome aboard.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You came to the right place...;)

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Don't forget BFD - Brush Fabrication Disorder.

Spyder, Douglas Carey, BamaT and 9 others like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

13. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go vintage for my first razor but that's just me. I think the two most recommended new razors for people starting out are the Edwin Jagger DE89 or the Merkur 34c. I personally have the DE89 and love the razor although I wish I wouldn't have got the handle I did, I hate having to stop to dry my hand to be able to grip the razor. As far as blades go I would order a sample pack so you can try several out and see which you prefer. They're all pretty cheap so you can pick up a nice variety. Everything is so subjective you'll really just have to test things out and see what you're preferences are. By the sounds of it you'll have a nice den in no time.

Robyflexx, BamaT, hrairy and 4 others like this.
  14. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Being new myself I think I got everything a beginner could ask for in the merkur 34c it is reasonably priced well made and very forgiving I did quite a lot of research before purchasing and the general opinion is it's a great razor to start with mine was £30 which I believe translates to 50 dollars give or take with 1 free blade the astra sp blades combined with advice from TSD have worked out well for me I also got proraso shave cream which is nice and cheap

15. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I KNEW this message was coming! Lol Note his story about old sewing machines. My shiny new beginner's razor shaves great. But it makes me sad. It has no soul.

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

How much do you enjoy your beard? Do you wear it because you hated shaving?
    You could get a nice vintage Gillette Super Speed for $20-25, pick up a blade sample pack, an Omega or Semogue brush, and shop HERE for soap and aftershave and blades.

RyX, Douglas Carey, hrairy and 3 others like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Saving money was the main reason I started de shaving too...:happy097: jokes on you!

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You're going to find the variety of razors, both new and vintage to be overwhelming and you're going to want them all. That's okay, it's probably happened to all of us here. You're also going to get plenty of advise here. Know that you're in good company.

19. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Straights, shavettes, SE, DE, slant, closed-comb, open-comb, safety bar. . . .

20. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I've had my beard for 35 years. I guess I enjoy it, of course I liked it more before it went white. Besides it hides the double chin!

I did get a Super Speed for $13.00 on ebay. Now I'm looking for a blade sample pack, brush, soap, yadda, yadda, yadda.........