Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by hrairy, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Is it your contention that all blades are equally sharp?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I didn't say that because I do believe some may, may, may be sharper than others. Lots of discussion has been had over sharpness and ways to try and measure it. To the best of my knowledge, which has been known to be faulty at times, no one has posted on TSD (I don't go to other forums so I can't speak about them) any scientific testing to measure or prove degrees of sharpness. Most has been, "to my face blade X is sharper than blade Y."

3. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I ask because "all blades are sharp and designed to cut" reads, to me, as analogous to "all hot sauces contain capsaicin, and bring heat to the food they flavor." This is empirically true; some, however, contain enough that their Scoville units warrant warning labels.

hrairy, BamaT, BigCabDaddy and 3 others like this.
  4. swarden43

True. I supose I could change "cut" to "shave". There are many sharp things out there that are sharp unough to cut, but not sharp enough to shave.

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Steve: You forgot one more item; a handkerchief! :).

hrairy, Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. swarden43

Carry that, too. And a comb.

7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

like Chinese blades! Sharp but not enough to cut hair.

hrairy, BamaT, BigCabDaddy and 2 others like this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy102:

hrairy and BigCabDaddy like this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Well, it sounds like you are prone to acquisition disorders, so you may want to consider some time lapse photography so we can enjoy watching your shave den grow over the coming weeks. We always enjoy a good show of a well stocked and growing shave den.
    You have received lots of good advice so far, but I will chime in with a few points. I suggest you keep your razor and blade consistent for a while as you hone your technique. I use a vintage Gillette Heavy Tech with Astra SP blades and this is a perfect combination for me. There are lots of great soaps and creams and pre and post shave products to try. Enjoy the variety and find out what works for you. The Shave of the Day thread is a great place to learn about new products. And one more thing...buy yourself a top hat!

hrairy, BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  10. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I've got to ask, do you actually own a top hat?

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is the pic from the ebay auction. Sorry I don't know how to resize it.

12. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I would love a top hat. I have a derby. Where could I find a reasonable top hat?

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  13. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Wow, looks in great condition I don't even think much of a cleaning is needed maybe disinfect just to be safe. A truly great razor, enjoy it. :happy088:

BigCabDaddy and hrairy like this.
  14. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

You've set the bar pretty high for yourself with that one buddy. You're off to a great start.

hrairy likes this.
  15. Rusty blade

I own a couple of "theatrical hats" that I picked up over the years. My top hat is currently out on loan to a street busker friend. I don't have much cause to wear a top hat these days. A top hat is not the most comfortable hat to wear...and they are useless in a wind...but they do lend a bit of class don't they? I picked up my theater hats in used clothing stores, thrift stores, etc. over the years. I prefer the newsboy flat cap style of hat....so much more functional and stylish. I own several. It just doesn't look as good in an avatar.
    Flat-cap.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    BigCabDaddy, txskimo and Robyflexx like this.
  16. Rusty blade

This is a great razor...I have a couple and they are very nice to use.

hrairy and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Rusty blade

Yes...see my post above.

BigCabDaddy and hrairy like this.