Noxema or Nivea Cream as Pre-Shave?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rusty blade, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have been faithful to my home made preshave oil. Simple and inexpensive and feels great. Recently I did purchase some Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream and have been enjoying it very much. I have read that some guys use Noxema or Nivea Cream as pre-shave. Anyone have experience with this? If so, do you have a preference? Before I go out and buy either of these...do you feel they are as good as Proraso Preshave?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I believe @BigCabDaddy was using Noxema. Maybe he will chime in.

Rusty blade likes this.
  3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Hmm... Can't help with the comparisons but I do love me some Noxema. About the only negative I can say about it is it completely negates the auditory blade feedback. So that's a little unsettling for me. But it works so good, it actually contemplated shaving with it alone.

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I have shaved with it alone many times. Works well.

5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I use Proraso, but have also tried Noxema. Noxema works and is a lot cheaper, but Proraso has a better scent and feels better on my face.

Spud and Rusty blade like this.
  6. Rusty blade

I tried Nivea and it was ok...just meh. My preference is for Proraso pre/post shave cream...and Noxema comes in a close second. Noxema is less expensive, but Proraso has a better scent and a very nice post shave feel.

Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I sometimes do shave with it alone and it's awesome, it's slick and provides cushioning somehow even though it doesn't lather. I use my brush to load it just like a shave soap in it's container then I just spread it on my face with the brush, I love the freeze type feeling it provides which also adds to the comfort and the smell is a huge bonus. I'm a daily shaver so I'm always trying new things, as a preshave? Yes Thank You! :happy036:

Ahh Oui and BigCabDaddy like this.
  8. Ahh Oui

Ahh Oui Well-Known Member

What a great call here! I've been a fan of Noxema for a long while but the preshave idea had never occurred to me. Been using it for my past three shaves and it's pretty darn impressive!
    Might have to follow Roby's lead and try a whole shave with it...like "Menthol Monday" on a budget

Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I'm happy it worked for you it's fun trying new things. I say go for it and use it as a shave cream, the cooling sensation it gives makes for a nice feeeeel. :)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  10. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I use and like Noxzema, also I really like to use Corn Huskers and Lucky Tiger Molle.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Resurrecting this thread to ask a question. When you say you're using Noxzema, are you using the "Classic Clean Original" or the "Classic Clean Moisturizing Cleansing Cream"? The latter has both glycerin and glycine soya (soybean) oil while the former doesn't have the glycerin, so I would think the latter would be a better, slicker pre-shave.

Which one are you using?

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Rusty blade

Classic Clean Original for me...though I imagine any kind of Noxema would be fine.

Borderboss likes this.
  13. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me well, I think the Moisturizing Cleansing Cream contains parabens, whereas the Classic Clean Original does not..... so, the latter for me, which I use together with a hot flannel wrap, before I apply Proraso pre shave.... I simply enjoy making my shave an enjoyable shaving experience... A shave should be enjoyed, not endured, is what I say... ;)

Borderboss likes this.
  14. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

It does have Propylparaben and Methylparaben. Is that a bad thing? They seem to be generally safe and are used as a preservative.

15. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

there are many references to parabens on the net that you can read and make up your own mind, but I'd rather limit my exposure to them, whenever I can.... just a personal thing...

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use Nivea as a preshave, I apply it before I get in the shower. I also use post shower home made preshave oil and Proraso. I think the Nivea used pre shower is pretty good. Right before the shave it is to thick.

17. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

I will often use Noxema as a pre/post. I like to scoop out the Noxema and put it in a smaller jelly jar and add around 25 drops of peppermint essential oil and mix it all together. Feels great!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

18. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I use Noxzema w/Moisturizer as a pre-shave from time to time. It has many of the same ingredients as Proraso pre-shave at 1/4 the price for 4x the product. unnamed.jpg

19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have had good results with all three, but found that over time both the Proraso white and the Noxzema left my skin dry, red, and itchy. I use NIVEA Creme now.

20. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I just bought some Nivea Cream this evening to try it out tomorrow. I noticed however that it's pretty thick and resistant to water. It seems like it would clog the blade as a pre-shave unless it was thoroughly washed off first, which would negate it's use as a pre-shave. Do you find any issues with the blade getting clogged?