Noxzema

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by immobileman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. immobileman

immobileman Member

Anyone have an opinion for the use of Noxzema as a preshave? I keep it on my face while showering but not too sure if it would act as a good preshave treatment.

Justin Linker likes this.
  2. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Lots of people use it as a preshave. From what I hear, it acts pretty much the same as Proraso pre/post cream, sans the menthol. I've never used it personally, but I plan on giving it a shot. Sometimes I'll apply regular Nivea Creme before I shave it helps retain moisture. I only do that when I have alot of time and when I do my self-pampering shaves.

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I use it. Not necessarily as a "pre shave" but just to clean my face before I shave it. Its mild and doesnt over dry which is why I use it instead of soap before shaving.

4. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

My wife swears it smells just like Proraso Pre/Post shave. But for some reason I can't bring myself to use Noxzema. I stick with Proraso but then again I'm a Proraso addict! It will always be in my den.

5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I bought one canned goo of Noxzema in Italy but had not tried it until now.

The smell is good,maybe a little bit like Proraso.

Have to test lather it...but from what i read it seems to be a good thing.

Paul Turner likes this.
  6. immobileman

immobileman Member

Does this mean as a preshave, it remains on the face and is removed along with the lather or it soaks the skin and is then washed off prior to lathering?

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Try it both ways and see what works for you. Can't hurt anything.
    I use a pre-shave oil - wet the face, rub in the oil, wet the face again, lather right over the oil. At first I was concerned about it mucking up my brush and razor, but I've been using it quite a while and I've had zero issues.

8. immobileman

immobileman Member

So this morning I left the Noxzema on and added my shaving cream. It did feel smoother but I didn't care for how it stuck to my razor. Even though this is petty it made my experience less than whAt it could have been based on the residual stickiness. I make my own toothpaste so I will try the preshave from the tutorial, already have plenty of E O's to try.

9. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'm a Proraso addict too. Preshave, creams, soaps and aftershave - love them all.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I love them all except the white tub Proraso, can't stand the smell of that one. Everything else is great.

11. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I have to test lather my Noxzema in the evening...can't say anything about it.But maybe after that...

12. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I put it on and leave it on while making my lather. Then I lather directly over it. So what if the scents clash? I want a good shave.

Oh, and I use knockoffs, not the real thing. They are just as good as the real thing, and some people say more like the original Noxzema before they supposedly changed the formula.

urrlord likes this.
  13. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

You can use it as a preshave .Spread on just enough to color the skin. I use it after washing my face with plain old water ,apply it to the wet skin massage it in and let it sit while building up a lather and apply the lather directly over it....

Some frugal people in the past also used Nox as a shave cream. It works pretty good ,it just clogs up multi blade razors.You need a sink of hot water to clear the blades . DE razors not so bad,shavettes also work well with it. Nox seems to leave a coating on the skin that absorbs after a while. It's pretty good and cost effective.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  14. ShaversRUs

When I look at the ingredients of Noxzema in the store, I see camphor, eucalytpus oil, and menthol. A few years ago one or more were missing. Did they cave-in, and is it now the same as before? In any case, I buy the store-branded generics since I know they are right and have that familair scent I've known all my life. Plus it costs less.

I rub it in before a shave, even though I've just washed my face in the shower.

Paul Turner likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I use H2O as a pre-shave. Works well for me and it's cheap.

:)

16. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

The only thing I have noticed in Nox and it's clones is that one brand and I cannot remember which one had omitted the phenol from the formulation. I like having the phenol in the Nox for it's antimicrobial effects.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. ShaversRUs

I just checked my jar from Equate -- it has phenol. I'm currenly using a RiteAid Daylogic version -- I'll check the ingredients later. I would have thought that all the store brands were made by the same 3rd party, but I could be wrong.

18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Are you referring to Prep, perhaps?

19. ShaversRUs

Daylogic contains phenol, too.