October 30 Day/Rule Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Will you be focusing on an Open Comb razor?

1. Absolutely, I have them all shined up and ready for shaving.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. I will mix it up, closed and open comb razors.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I haven't used a comb for many years.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I am a straight razor shaver, you open comb shavers don't know what you're missing.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. If I use an open comb razor, will I finally get some cookies?

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to the October edition of TSD’s most beloved and erudite shaving thread.

At this hallowed internet-link are gathered shavers from all over the world and some, who are other-worldly. (Their names shall be kept secret out of respect for their families :shocked002: )

On this thread, we gather to share shaving scenarios, answer shaving-related questions, learn to master newly-acquired shave equipment, dial-in finicky soaps, display self-crafted shave items, challenge each other to duels…actually, I think that was officially banned a few years ago, and, in general, encourage, educate and support our shaving brethren.

Last month, there was a call for a 7-day challenge made by one of our regular attendees and it was met with gusto. A group chose 1 shaving set-up and used it every day, thus learning to get better results from their gear. This is the spirit of this thread and I would encourage more of this in October, after all, this is the “Official Rule” of this thread:

Take one brush, one soap, one razor, one brand of blades and
    use them daily for the entire month.

This rule is only a suggestion and shaves of all types are welcome.
    There are a few disclaimers, that need mentioning:

1) All are welcome, newbies and veterans
    2) Respect each other at all times
    3) Adhere to the rules of this forum

Traditionally, October has been a month in which we focus on the open comb razor.

gillette-serial-number-on-guard.jpg

MRK25C_x1024.jpg

The earliest models of the safety razor were in fact, what we refer to as “Open Comb” razors. While many consider them to be more aggressive than “Closed Comb” models,

gillette-aristocra_3198931k.jpg

there are other factors, which can dictate the aggressiveness of the razor; but this month, it’s the open comb razor which will be the subject of our focus.

Some of the advantages of an OC razor include leaving lather on the skin to facilitate repeat strokes and the ability to lift longer facial hair and make removal easier. The readers of this thread will be interested to hear about your results and how they may compare to solid bar safety razors.

Let's get ready for fall with some wonderful shaves and make OCtober one of our best months ever!

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Great write up, Joseph. I'm in. As for your "one brush for the month", I change brushes daily, but I may be up to a "one soap for the week" challenge, like some have already done(Probably not this month, I'd want to wait until it gets colder more consistently.). We shall see. The fun is in the planning :). Happy October shaves everyone!!

3. brit

brit in a box

awesome intro Joseph..:cool:..i am definitely in..OCtober is my favorite month ,will be using all my oc gillettes and maybe others,and bringing back all my fall scented soaps and goodies..maybe another challenge..;)..happy shaves..

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Count me in for Open Comb OCtober. Many of my favorite razors are Open Comb so I have been looking forward to this month.

5. brit

brit in a box

thursday sneak peek..
    20200930_130227_e.jpg

6. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Count me in.
    IMG_20200930_235912_644.jpg I will do a focus with this setup.

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

8. brit

brit in a box

awesome set up Daniel..:cool:

9. brit

brit in a box

thank you Danny..:)

10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in for OCtober. My Blackbird, Timeless Bronze and HomeLike Start had their OC baseplates installed yesterday afternoon in preparation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. MrDaniel's

Thanks, Gary! It's my only open comb razor.

12. brit

brit in a box

awesome Jim..:cool:

13. brit

brit in a box

very cool,gillette's original.good razor to do the focus with..if you master it you've got 90% of the razors out there covered..:cool:

14. brit

brit in a box

being my second gen aristocrat just arrived,i will do a comparison shave between it and the first gen .the first gen is open comb and visually the only difference between it and the second .. 20200930_130630_edited_edited.jpg

15. MrDaniel's

It feels very easy to use for me, haven't had much issues actually.

16. brit

brit in a box

no issue then..:D

17. Hembree

:)

clint64, FaceScraper, jluc and 3 others like this.
  18. Hembree

I'm in!

Karve OC, Above the Tie stainless steel and aluminum OCs. I also will be trying out some new Shark blades + soap and more soap. :happy036:

19. brit

brit in a box

very cool Danny,looking forward..:)

20. Hembree

Thanks, looking forward to seeing those Duesenberg of razors.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.