Odd question

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hairy Alaskan, May 4, 2014.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

So I've been wondering for a very long time, has anyone ever stropped a DE blade? I'm curious if stropping a DE blade on leather or canvas could add more life to a blade or make a lesser blade better. I know that it wouldn't make much financial sense but just curious.

Thanks.

2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Yes, quite a lot of people are doing this, some reports that it can really improve blade life.

3. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Quite a few people hand strop them and seem to get good results. I've tried it and couldn't tell any difference, of course YMMV applies so I'm not knocking it.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I hand strop all my blades, once before the first use, then every time after.
    There are three schools of thought about stropping DE and/or SE blades:

1 - It doesn't do a thing, why bother?
    Second - Even if it does work, blades are so cheap, why bother?
    C - It does work. It smooths the bladed for a more comfortable shave and a bit of extended life for the blade.

Hey, I know folks will say it doesn't need to be done on today's stainless steel blades. I know many say it works great for the vintage carbon blades. But answer me this - if stropping does nothing to a stainless steel blade, why do owners of stainless steel str8s strop?

I figure if it works for the str8s, it'll work for DE and SE blades, as well, so I strop.

(and, yes, I know stropping does not sharpen a blade, it only takes off a bit of the rough)

GDCarrington, richgem and burnout961 like this.
  5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I would add a fourth thought:
    • Stropping removes the teflon coating and therefore harms the blade

6. swarden43

And the mere act of shaving doesn't? :p It has been reported (I never done a test) that whiskers are as tough as copper wire. I would think leather, or even the palm of your hand, is much softer.
    Honestly not trying to be smart-aliky, but as it is a thought, I was just thinking.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Stropping machines for DE blades were common back in the days of carbon steel blades. They might still work on stainless blades but I haven't tried personally.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have heard the argument before. Plus, the words "do not wipe" on some blades point to this.

Me? I fall into category 1.

9. swarden43

I'm in category C. But then I figure, can't hurt, might help.

As for the warning "do not wipe", personally I've always read that as a disclaimer to avoid a lawsuit should someone slice themselves.

GDCarrington and markjnewcomb like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Never done it. Never will. 14 cents per blade. It's disposable.

dscaver and markjnewcomb like this.
  11. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I think it would be safe to say that in the last 100+ years that DE blades have been around that millions and millions have been stropped.

Bristle Me and Dridecker like this.
  12. swarden43

Obviously category second :eatdrink047:

13. Hairy Alaskan

I'm not referring to the obvious hand or arm stropping. I'm specifically wondering if someone has taken their DE blade to their leather/canvas strop.
    I've tried hand and arm stropping a few times over the years but never found it very beneficial. Wiping the blade though when done so that it is clean and dry has helped a bit.

14. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Whether a DE blade or a straight, it remains that the cutting edge is created by grinding against a stone of some sort.
    The goal of any sharpening operation is to form "teeth" at the edge (however small) that will cut.
    Regardless of the grit of that sharpening stone, and regardless of the type of steel, (carbon or stainless)
    sharpening that blade is going to create little bits of metal scattered about the edge, and the teeth formed
    on the edge are initially not going to be well aligned and burr free. Here is where the stropping comes in.
    When done properly, stropping should remove the tiny bits of metal that are "hanging by a thread" so to speak,
    and those teeth should become better aligned, smoothed, and even a bit polished.
    It seems to me that if anyone is curious about this process, they should pursue it, and learn from it.
    I've never stropped a DE blade, but to me it stands to reason that because they are mass produced relatively quickly,
    they may very well benefit from a good stropping. As with most other things DE, how much benefit there is to be gained
    will have to be determined by each individual.
    But if you are curious about stropping, you certainly aren't going to hurt anything by giving it a go.
    Who knows, you may get to the point where it significantly adds to your shaving experience, and even
    influence your thoughts on taking up the straight razor. If so, then that's great!

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I hand strop 'modern' blades. For vintage blades I've got an Allegro DE blade sharpener. Works. I have tested with a dull blade (HHT - Hanging Hair Test: fail). After sharpening and stropping: HHT: pass. I wouldn't try modern carbon or teflon coated blades. I think it won't do any good on them.

16. Hairy Alaskan

Good info.

It's probably a waste of time but I've always been curious about it. I've run into a few bum blades out of the box and always wondered if it would be possible to sharpen/smoothen them up to cut better. I might break down and buy a strop one of these days and try it. Who knows, I might get the courage up to try straight razor shaving. Not sure my single experience with a Parker shavette counts.

17. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

My grandfather who died in 1945, after every shave would rub his blade back and forth inside a simple drinking glass.
    I don't know how many times on each side but he did turn the blade over once in every session.
    Neither do I know how many shaves he obtained from a blade.

Perhaps some of you DE'ers could try it and let us know. I use a Rolls so am no help.

Mickey