Okay, Tabac isn't that bad.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Slivovitz, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Lately, instead of rotating to a different soap every day, I've made a point of using every soap for at least a week. That's a topic for a separate post, but I've gone through at least eight of my soaps like that now, which included a month with Vintage Williams, and about eleven days with Arko while traveling. Just ended my Tabac week this morning. It's one of the big 3.5 oz. sticks grated into an OS mug.

In the past I've complained about the smell from Tabac, which I found unpleasant. That's one of those things you really can't argue about; the perception of smells is very individual. What has kept it in the rotation in the past is that when I buy these expensive soaps, I don't believe in wasting them, and besides, it does lather extremely well.

This past week, I've realized that the smell is almost all gone. Several months or a year, however long it's been sitting in that mug, have worked their magic, and there is only the barest hint of that smell of decay left. It's at such a low level that it's almost pleasant now, and I barely notice it unless I pay attention anyway. It's the same principle as airing out Arko, except that I never disliked that, just thought that it was a bit strong.

So now it's possible to enjoy that excellent lather without distractions. I'll probably never buy it again, but with so many other things in the rotation, it would probably be years before I needed to. The shavings filled up the mug about of the way when I first grated it, and it seems that it's barely gone down at all.

2. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

If you don't like the smell of the Tabac and won't buy it for yourself again why not just buy it for me. I love the smell and also the later. Would shave with it every day but alas, I also love MWF and several creams. The Tabac is the only soap that I also have an identical shave cream. So if you run into any Tabac that is not found a nice home simply buy it, beg it, steal it, whatever and send it to me! Free of charge of course! :)

battle.munky likes this.
  3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have MWF, some vtg Avon SS, and Tabac. I'd have to say that the Tabac is far easier to lather and seems better to me for some reason. I don't mind the scent either though, but the lather is top notch.

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

After it mellows, I like it. Interestingly, I have 2 soaps that I thought were almost scentless when I bought them, Harris Almond and Cade. Now both of them seem to have plenty of scent. That's a good thing for the Cade and not so good for the Almond, lol.

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Tabac isn't bad, kind of trinket'y to me as there are higher quality scents to be had in the same price range.

6. geneaut

geneaut Member

Tabac is one of those products that seem to get people firmly pro or con about it. I love it and consider it one of my favorite soaps both for scent and lather.

7. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Tabac is one of my favourite
    The smell,the lather....everything is unique!

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Another Tabac fan here.

9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Tabac++

10. Dripp

Dripp New Member

My Tabac arrived last night and I fired it up this morning. Now I won't say I loved the scent, I didn't hate it. After a few minutes I didn't notice it at all. Now the lather. That was amazing. Easy and lots of it with my PJ2 super. Great shave, very smooth. I think I'll keep it around for a few years as I work through my ridiculous amount of soaps and creams in my possession.

battle.munky and IAmTheJody like this.
  11. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I strayed from Tabac for about six months while I played with MWF -- another very fine soap -- but I'm back with Tabac.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I do enjoy my Tabac stick. I use my sticks when I'm in a hurry or traveling and I only use 2 stick brands: Euro Palmolive and Tabac.

13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I love the scent but I can't get a good lather from it no matter what I do, so I've admitted defeat with this soap.

14. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I also love the scent, and get a great lather with a smaller vintage Ever-Ready boar brush.

15. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Darn, this thread makes me want some even more! Bowl stick or cream is fine with me!