Old fashioned!?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by JMS, Sep 30, 2007.

1. JMS

JMS New Member

Maybe I'm just old fashioned!? I don't get all this talk about "this" skin food and "that" scent etcetera. etcetera, etcetera.
    I have been using the same Col Conk almond shaving soap and the same Dominica Bay Rum after shave for fifteen years now and I cant see any reason to change!

Am I the only one?

Are there others who prefer to stick with one product?

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Nothing wrong with sticking with what works, but some people like to see if they can find something that works even better.

Or variety. It is the spice of life after all!

3. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I find that I like to explore, but I certainly understand that others like to settle down and use the products that seem to work well for them..

I will say that, by continuing to explore, the good discoveries more than outweigh the disappointments---at least for me. YMMV.

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I could definately see me using one soap and one aftershave for the rest of my life, but i like the variety and excitement of thinking about what im gonna use on the next days shave.

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Personnaly I do not see any fault in sticking what works as long as one is aware of what else is out there and why what you are sticking with is the end all to be all. Personally I have found nervana in terms of the razor(s), brush and soap. I am still trying to tack down the after shave and blades.

6. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Certainly not a bad thing to stick to what works. The whole wet shaving experience should be about what you enjoy. I personally enjoy variety and trying new things, that keeps it interesting for me. If it were only about getting a good shave, I would have no problem narrowing down to the few products to stick with.

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Nothing wrong with fidelity-
    Fidelity is a notion that at its most abstract level implies a truthful connection to a source or sources. Its original meaning dealt with loyalty and attentiveness to one's duty to a lord or a king, in a broader sense than the related concept of fealty. Both derive from the Latin word fidelitas, meaning "faithfulness."
    I have a few shaving things that I could stick to using forever. However sometimes I seem to be on a quest to find better things. "This works great, wonder if That would work better?" Once in a great while I find something that does work better. "Man's quest for shaving knowledge" so to speak.

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I like something different everyday :drool

9. Will

Will Nevermind

I could live off Conk and Bay Rum.

(can I still have Velva too?) :cool:

10. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Fidelity is a term I heard on another forum..

It's simply the Nirvana of wet shaving...

The ultimate shaving experinece one encounters day in and day out using the same razor, blade, brush and soap or cream and A/S lotion or balm...

That's wonderful for those who enjoy simplicity (sp?)...

I happen to like experimenting with new blades and various other shaving produsts as the mood strikes me...

I'm not seeking nor will I succeed in obtaining "Fidelity"...

Variety is the spice of life and I enjoy trying different things...

Good for you if that is what you want and you are happy...

What ever works for you is fine...

And after all the object of the the game is to ...

ENJOY YOUR SHAVE...:D

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

Well said Mike!! ;)

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Blades seems to be anything that is not a Gillette blade or a Treet Blue Special. Face does nto seem to like those. Might start rotating the after shaves around a bit, see if I can tack that down a bit.

13. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I'm now up to eighteen straights! Plus I have been using some of my DEs when I am in a hurry. Plus I have more soaps and creams than I can use in a month. All that means it would be foolish of me not to rotate, well, my whole rotation. :D

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Like my mama told me in high school. Don't date just one girl so early in your life. You'll regret it later on. One of the few things my mama got right. :D

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Very well said!

16. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

kinda a weird combo, id rather thinkg if you stick to a certain product atleast match the scents.. so you like Dominica Bayrum., why not use the Col Conk Bayrum to go with the a/s.

17. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I have no idea if this is why......in fact, I might be nuts......but I think the Conk Almond lathers better than all the other Conk soaps :confused:

18. Will

Will Nevermind

Is that why you keep feeding me the bay rum and not the almond. :mad:

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. JMS

JMS New Member

Are you looking for a fight buddy?;):D
    Actually when I first started with a brush and soap I used Col Conks Bay Rum soap and could never really get a good lather. After I discovered what real bay rum actually smelled like I could never go back to Col Conks "pseudo" Bay Rum soap!
    As far as clashing, I don't think they clash at all! The almond smell disappears almost as soon as I rinse my face!