Old Japanese Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by pokkuhlag, May 27, 2007.

1. pokkuhlag

pokkuhlag New Member

It's been a few months after I've been lurking here (due to Rene) and the straight razor section has become a little bit quiet. So here I am posting my first post about my first japanese razor. When it arrived it was a bit rusty and had 2 little nicks. But after some sanding and honing on Norton 4k/8k and chinese 12k, I got the best shave ever from a straight razor. With the short blade and thick handle, it just go around my chin very easily. There will three pics, one of the razor, one of the blade and one of the edge, where you can see the reflection of my camera. I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Attached Files:

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Congratulations on that straight! I'm a bit jealous now :D

3. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I like those old Japanese razors, myself. You did a great job sprucing it up, as well. I have also been impressed with most of the edges on these blades. It appears the Japanese used some of there better steels when making razors.

And these days, some of the best stainless steel you can find comes from Japan.

For you guys looking for vintage ones, good luck... they are like trying to find hen's teeth.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, I'd know where to get one, but I'm not (yet) ready ter bend over and spend 260€

And yes, I know that's a good price ;)

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I would also like to try one of these beauties. I hear nothing but great reviews. Still I can justify spending that much coin. I can dream though!!!!!!

Raf