Old spice

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rbilly, Jun 1, 2018.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I have really been enjoying old spice lately, but the last time I used before now was the early 90s, so i dont have anything to compare the new stuff to. Do fellow old spice fans here think its worth it to track down some shulton? I was thinking about picking up a bottle off of ebay but keep second guessing it because I really enjoy the new stuff.

Keithmax, RyX and cliffb599 like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Cross your fingers.
    There’s still a Travelers set left in the raffle.
    Your name might get called again.

DaltonGang, rbilly and RyX like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Yes, it's worth it.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1 I prefer the vintage.

I purchased a *new* OS AS, even found an empty vintage bottle to decant. Haven't ever finished it off, hardly use it. Started watching in the wild and have a couple 6 ounce Avonesque NIB vintage Shulton's to refill the other iconic gray stoppered glass bottles. They pop up in thrift stores for $1/ounce faster that I am using it up. Watching for the vintage lime, too.

DaltonGang and Primotenore like this.
  5. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I have been on a spice kick, will be getting some avon spicy soon, stirling spice is on its way. All the thrift store by my house have avon tai winds, and wild country, have not seen os yet.

DaltonGang, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I also ordered some canoe cologne, and later in the summer when english leather comes back on the market ill pick that up to, all of the new stuff all smells like axe body spray to me, so I am going to stick with the classics. I was also told to try something called british stirling..

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

RyX likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Haven't seen Steve @swarden43 for a while. He is great at finding and linking conversations. Sometimes my Search Fu fails.

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

He's been MIA since February.

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I think he was participating in The 30 Day Circus, and stopped posting. Folks come and go. Hope he and others that moved on are all doing OK but we'll never know.
    is it me youre look for.jpg

11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I finally tried a sample of vintage old spice, a big thank you to john Beeman for sending a little my way. I was really suprised, i assumed the difference was going to be mostly imagination, slight at the most, i have noticed the wet shaving community seems to always favor earlier editions of products, even when they both seemed to be the same. Now when i tried this vintage old spice I was very suprised, its like two completly different products. With classic being spicier, and current p&g being sweet and powdery. I really enjoy both, i tend to like the powder type scents(clubman, canoe, floid blue). I think if the new stuff had the longevity of the old stuff it would be amazing. Im going to go with a mix of both today at work, which I assume will be nice. Also will be hunting down a supply of vintage to add to my collection. Now on to my next pursuit, aquiring some english leather, the maker does not plan on producing it again until late summer, im assuming for christmas time. As you can tell I enjoy the older products, i think they work great as due to their reputations in the 80s and 90s of being cheap or tacky has kept them out of sight for many years, i notice i get a ton of compliments from the ladies at work and most are surprised when they ask what im wearing and I tell them, old spice, aqua velva, brut, clubman, ect.

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Everything old is new again? Glad you found and have enjoyed vintage juice. Those oldies but goodies may have been encountered by your coworkers back in their formative years. Shed of the stigma of "drug store" products, they've now been evaluated solely on their scent, or possibly boosted by the olfactory remembrance of childhood.

brit likes this.