Old Spice

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Straight Arrow, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I have a sealed Old Spice mug with unused soap inside. The soap looks a little flaky/powdery on the surface, probably from years of just sitting there. It has got to be at least 30-40 years old. Can I use this stuff or should I turn it over to a collector? BTW, how is OS soap? Any good??

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

From what I have read it was a pretty good soap, I remember my Father using it. I've read many threads about shavers trying old soaps and it seems to work out Ok. The scent may be lost but I personally would try a couple of test lathers to see how it whips up. JMO

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Rich, I'm pretty sure it'll work good for you. Heck, I used Old Spice soap for a while as well, and I enjoyed it. Incidentally, Mama Bear has a soap called Old Spice type, which has the identical scent, and with even better lather, and with excellent skincare. Check it out.

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I just scored a sealed Old Spice mug from eBay myself.. I used it - no worries.. Actually a pretty good soap.. It did take a bit of effort to get great lather but it will get there =)

So just go ahead and use it.. Mine had lost a bit of scent though..
    I have used vintage soap made all the way back in the 30s without any problem.. :cool:

5. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

Soap will "dry out" over time, so it's no wonder that you to work at getting a lather out of it. The fact that it was still sealed helped a lot. I know about the drying out of soaps because I had found some old bars of Ivory in my parents house that had to be at least a decade old, if not older. While still wrapped, they had yellowed and cracked. Still OK for washing hands.

6. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I'll second the recommendation for Mama Bear's version. Its one of my favorites. I think she may be calling it Aged Spice now to avoid... um.. conflict

Jordan

7. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

just received a tub of Old Spice Type from Mama Bear and I really like the scent and the lather alot. Had an old spice day along with aftershave and cologne. Now that's a good day.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh, yeah--I love it too, Johnnie! It brings back memories of the good old days! ;) ;)

9. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

It has been many years since I have used Old Spice shave soap. It was my first shave soap, I got it at the Navy Exchange and I liked it. I was disappointed when I couldn't get it any more.

So did you try it? I would think that a little water would rejuvenate it. I can't say if it would be the same as new, but I would be curious to know how it worked out.

10. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Yes, I did try it for three or four shaves about a month ago. It produced abundant lather that was thick, cushiony and long lasting. It was short on scent, probably because of the passage of time, but the quality of the lather was great. I will definitely use it from time to time in my rotation.