Older Injector Razors...good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Jim O, May 29, 2023.

1. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

BBS has a comprehensive guide on this site giving the full history of each iteration of the Schick injector razors. They are excellent, and the G would be a great razor. They get progressively milder. The Schick G is one of my very favorite razors for performance, comfort, efficiency, and style.

brit, Jim O, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

G is the model type and is a very good shaver. They can be had for a few dollars less than that one, it's a G8. It has a different handle than the rest of the G's, but the head is the same. Schick made adjustable razors, type M.

brit and Jim O like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Check out www.safetyrazors.net for a near complete list of all Schick razors. They're great razors and blades are easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

5. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

Would "A" be the mildest?

In terms of aggressive/ mild, how would the G compare to the Merkur 34c? That's the only one I have.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

That link is dead

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

The Schick G thread is located at https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/schick-type-g-injectors-for-dummies.63550/

The E is supposedly more aggressive than the G. They get progressively milder the higher the letter/later the production. I have a G and a J, and they are comparable, with my preference for the G (more efficient than the J). The M is from the late 1960s-70s and is adjustable, allowing for a greater variety of blade gaps in one razor.

Jim O likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

Schicks get milder as models change. I honestly think the G is better, but that's my opinion. A,B and C models, repeating razors, are more aggressive than following models. Plus they aren't really what I would call a beginner's razor. Type I's are also very good razors.

gorgo2, Jim O and brit like this.
  9. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

10. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

Is the G comparable to a Merkur 34c in terms of aggressiveness?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

I'd say a little more

Ron R, Jim O and ewk like this.
  12. jimjo1031

Jim O and brit like this.
  13. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

What do you think of the E model?

Herm2502, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  14. jimjo1031

More aggressive than the G. Good shaver, especially on tough beards. Or when you haven't shaved in a while. I'd go for the G first, then decide. They can both be bought for good prices.

gorgo2, Jim O and brit like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't know about a general consensus, but for me, they are 'too good.' I don't like them, I almost hate them. They shave too well, almost effortlessly. Almost like a cartridge razor in that regard. There's no challenge to using them, almost no skill required. They are boring.

If I didn't treat shaving as a hobby, I'd probably use one daily. As it is, I use them about twice a year, mostly just to remind myself of how well they shave.

I loaned one to my brother in law, a fellow wet shaving enthusiast, and he used it twice and handed it back to me and said he was done using it. He voiced the same complaint. He didn't like the lack of challenge, but loved the results.

It's one of the few razor designs I've used that will give me a BBS shave in one pass every time, with almost no need for touch-ups.

Edit: that's for the later models. The early A, B, and C models are fairly aggressive, and are more of a challenge to use.

brit, jimjo1031, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Around 1963, Pal/ASR made a streamlined, partly stainless steel injector that is still one of the most beautiful shaving implements ever. They can have a quality control problem with alignment of the head (which for the unwary results in a shave that amounts to butchery...ask me how I know). But if you get a good one, they completely blow away Schick's adjustable injector on looks alone.

Screenshot_20230530_094031_eBay.jpg

But the E3 is perhaps the best overall injector I've used. Plentiful and fairly cheap, and I agree with Plan that they are so danged efficient that they can quickly become boring to use.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    Jim O, brit, PLANofMAN and 1 other person like this.
  17. Herm2502

My apologies...it was a great source of info.

18. Herm2502

A good E2 is very efficient. Probably one of the most "aggressive" of the Schick injectors.

19. Herm2502

20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

brit likes this.