Olivia Seife Shaving Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by crosbie, Apr 8, 2008.

1. crosbie

crosbie Member

Hi all. Just recieved a sample of these soaps from Germany last week. So far I'm having terrible difficulty getting a rich and persistant lather from them. The soaps themselves are wonderful so I'm just wondering it its a problem with my lathering technique. Anyone else have similar issues??

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Welcome to the Shave Den, Crosbie - finally a member from a country I adore :)

Olivias soaps are great, but, containing most of all olive oil they lack in the lather-department. So it's not you technique but the ingredients that hinder the lather.
    If you want great lather, try her "Crema" creams, they're great in every aspect!

Klaus

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome to The Shave Den Crosbie! :D

I have not had the pleasure of trying Olivia's soaps or creams yet. Perhaps if you pre soften the soap a bit with some warm water on top of the puck prior to loading your brush that will help??

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Welcome, You may also want to just try rubbing it on your beard and face lathering.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den Crosbie!

Don't miss the Newbies Give-Away! :happy088
    Yes, I will ship the prize to Ireland, if you win.

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome!

7. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

Welcome!
    Susie

8. crosbie

crosbie Member

Hi Klaus,
    Thanks for gettin back to me. Im glad to know that there's nothing wrong with my lathering technique. The soaps just seemed a bit weird but now that im aware they are olive oil based I can see why. Have you tried any of the other bases 'Shea Butter', 'Goats Milk'? Do they lather up a bit more substantially? I have been using creams to date and I suppose Im unrealistically expecting an equivalent result from soaps. Any advice welcome.
    Crosbie

9. crosbie

crosbie Member

Nearly forgot!!! Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and all the extremely useful advice!!!

10. crosbie

crosbie Member

Very interested JoAnna. Thanks for the generous gesture
    Crosbie

11. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I wouldn't keep my expectations for soap too low Crosbie. My expectations for soap is to lather very well. MANY burst into lots of lather and there are many that have the lubricating, moisturizing and lathering traits that creams do. I think that most soaps have these quaklities.
    :)
    Regards and welcome

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

You are refering to Suzies soaps now, aren't you? If so, I have tried her "Shea Butter" Offerings and have found them to be great shaving soaps with great lather.
    You could also look into the TSDs offerings, they're also great shaving soaps.
    And then there's many more brands to be explored - especially the English ones - Trumper, T&H, D.R. Harris, Floris, Penhaligon's, Taylor of Old Bond Street... great soaps all the way :eatdrink047

crackstar likes this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hi, Crosbie! I must agree that Olivia's soaps are not the easiest things to lather up, but I can forgive that, because they make up very well in skincare. I find that with some effort, you can still create a nice lather with her soaps, but it's not quite as stable as with other soap brands.