Omega 622 Puro Tasso Silvertip; pure luxury.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Sodapopjones, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I went down to the new Penworks location in Scottsdale *23 miles away now haha* and molested quite a few brushes and as usual didn't buy what I had my mind set on; always works that way.

I was going down to pick up a Vulfix boar and a Omega Prestige brush; didn't make it home with either.

I have been getting quite a few brush recommendation pm's lately, it seems my inbox is the actual brush forum haha, so I thought it might be a good idea to check out some other mid-range brushes and also have been meaning to try a Vulfix boar.

Seeing "Handmade" stamped on an injection molded piece of plastic didn't exactly make me want to pick up the Vulfix boar; a faux pas by Simfix?!

Anyway, on to the 622, one of the beauties of being able to go into a store and browse is seeing things in person; I must say pictures don't do Omega any justice.

[​IMG]
    The translucent like amber resin Omega uses is gorgeous in person, between the veining and color change its just awesome; needless to say once I picked it up I realized I was probably taking it home.

The only thing you can knock this brush on is the gold plastic plug that the knot is set in, granted at the price point these brushes are offered at its hard to complain; the Silvertip is by far the softest I have dealt with.

I would also like to note, as I'm always shooing people away from pure and black pure badger, if you really want to give pure a try, give an Omega pure a go; man are they soft as well.

The 622 is set with a 23mm x 56mm knot, quite the lofty fella indeed which yes does make it floppy; I own Plisson, Vulfix and EJ brushes, flop doesn't really phase me.

When I say flop, I would associate it more with handling like Plisson than Vulfix; its not like you're shaving with a comb over and it actually gives this brush an advantage. Having some flop in the knot with this hair makes for an absolute luxury shave, dare I say this dainty brush feels more luxurious than my CH2? Well lets just say they're both luxurious on opposite sides of the spectrum.

The brush was shampooed, and test lathered a few times, as you can see the LOA Napoleon's Violet lathered just fine... I did shave tonight and used Tabac, the brush did need reloading on pass 3 but I'm assuming its from the shampoo and earlier test lathers, both Simpsons were the same way after I used Pantene's 2 in 1; hopefully tomorrow everything will be peachy.
    [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to daylight today so I can actually take a picture that shows off how nice the amber resin is, as well as bloom.

alpla444, BassTone, Johnny and 2 others like this.
  2. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Looking good Aaron. I handled the Omega line in person today and was doubly impressed.

May it make and apply lather for you for many years to come

Sodapopjones likes this.
  3. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Those are some awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. An excellent description as always.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ditto. Most awesome and excellent!

Sodapopjones likes this.
  5. Sodapopjones

Thanks! You gotta admire Omega's resin, its solid and each piece is different; for something that runs in the $60 range this is exceptional and they're indeed turned on a CnC or mechanical lathe as you can see the markings on the lip.

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Excellent! I never hear anything about Omega except for their boar line.

7. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Very nice! I have a black badger Omega 6217 which contains both natural tapered ends and some clipped ends. It's a great all around brush for soaps and creams with impeccable craftsmanship. I can well imagine the 622 to be a stellar performer with quality that's tough to beat! Enjoy! :happy036:

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Fine looking brush there Aaron, nice collection on the shelf also.:)

9. Sodapopjones

A bloom photo, its really hard capturing the essence of the resin I will note.

As you can see from the picture, for a tall lofted brush it didn't overly bloom, which is good; for $60 I'm more than happy.

[​IMG]

10. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Beautiful brush Aaron! The handle sets it apart form anything I've seen! :)

Sodapopjones likes this.
  11. Sodapopjones

Indeed, each piece is unique, the actual design however is much like a Simpson Tulip; albeit rounder.

12. SOS

SOS Member

Nice to see a different maker get a little exposure. Looks like a bargain.

13. Sodapopjones

Definitely, its one of the more unique brushes I own not only in looks but in the way it performs... Now that I have had it for awhile I have pretty much figured it out; I load the brush for each pass at a time and not for the entire shave.

I think the lower price scares people as it couldn't possibly be quality when it is, the knots are also about as densely packed as an EJ/Muhle which a lot of people also tend to frown on, when really they're missing out on great brushes.

I'm planning on picking up a 632 or the 631, 20/19mm x 52mm as its closer to what more people would use, the 622 is quite large in use even though its only a 23mm knot.

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Dude, I can't believe I missed this. Great looking brush and nice write up Aaron.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  15. Sodapopjones

Probably because the title had Omega and Silvertip in it, haha....

alpla444 likes this.
  16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I gotta admit, I've never seriously considered an Omega badger only entertaining their boars as candidates.

17. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Why do you think you have to load it before each pass?

18. Sodapopjones

Probably due to the soft tips combined with the tall loft; I suppose if I mashed my brushes it would be different but I only like to load on the tips.

SharpSpine likes this.
  19. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Man, I've been looking that brush!
    I just haven't pull the trigger yet.

Excellent review Aaron, great pictures it really looks awsome!

20. Sodapopjones

Bob, its pretty big, if you think the restore you did was smaller than the Colonel, you will probably laugh when you put this next to it and the Colonel.