Omega Boar with Ash Wood Handle

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Michael_W, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I bought this and it was delivered today. I intend to break it in tonight when I try out my Oleo Very Cherry that also came today. What should I expect? The only other boars I tried were the cheap, shedding VDH that came with my Luxury set and a generic one that I gave away as part of a PIF. (I gave away the VDH brush and apothecary bowl to a friend.) Never having tried something from Omega, I'm curious to know what your thoughts are if you've used one of theirs.

Frijolero, Jayaruh, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I think you'll like them. Having a couple Omega's myself, they work fine after breaking in. You could soak and rub them a little with hair conditioner to speed up the process.

Douglas Carey and Michael_W like this.
  3. Michael_W

Yeah, I have a bar of brush soap I got from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Typically I just go all-in using the brush right out of the box and break it in through usage, but I decided to splurge one day and get the soap and comb kit so I can extend the life of my brushes.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I own three Omegas.

A #20248 - big fat chrome colored plastic handle. Used thinned down apple cider vinegar to clean the soap build up and it softened the bristles a little too much for my liking.

My #10098 has the Pro barber handle shape and almost as large of diameter as the one above. Very comfy shape to hold. The bristles have softened so much I miss the scrubby feeling from when it was new.

Like the feeling of a new Omega knot so much I bought a new Pro98 and trashed the handle to harvest the knot. It's in a threaded ferrule for quick swap on a Rubberset 400 type handle that Tom @twhite made.

Omega knots.gif

Enrico, brit, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I, too, have an Omega Pro (here it is before first use) in my Rubberset 400/3, professionally installed by @Jayaruh
    I love this knot. It stunk for quite a while, but now it is incredible. 63mm!!

IMG_5507.jpg

brit, RyX, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful picture.

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  7. Michael_W

So, I broke my boar brush in this evening with my Oleo Very Cherry duck-base soap. I am impressed with the performance combination. The boar bristles, after soaking in warm water for a few minutes, really whipped up a good lather. I have a fully BBS shave for the first time in a long while. I think the duck tallow edges out the mutton used by Stirling—not by much, but nevertheless...

I have to wonder if it's the boar bristles to thank in part for tonight's lather. With my Vie-Long horse hair, I don't get any real volume. My Stirling synthetic can do it, and now my Omega boar, but yeah, weird...

RyX likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    I have read that horse hair can be rather floppy. Stiffer bristles will aid in lather production.

Michael_W likes this.
  9. Michael_W

Which is weird, because my Stirling synthetic is quite soft.

10. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I think that "softness" is not the opposite of "stiffness".

Softness is all down to how the tips of the brush feel on your face. Personally, as I mostly palm lather, I don't really care too much about softness. The tips of Simpson best badgers are the softest of any brush I have, while my boars are scrubbier. They're all fine for me.

Stiffness is down to the amount of backbone in the brush. Boars all tend to be stiff but I think with badger you generally have to go to the better manufacturers and higher grades to get a lot of stiffness.

A stiff badger with very soft tips is a (usually expensive!) delight to use.

Michael_W, Primotenore and Enrico like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I bought an Omega 40033 about four years ago and it's travel the world with me. From the African bush country to the ritz, it has served me well. I don't use it as often as I use to, but it's earn a permanent place in my cabinet.

IMG_0150.JPG

Michael_W and Primotenore like this.
  12. Michael_W

My one complaint so far about this Omega brush is that it sheds a few hairs every time I use it. I hope it doesn't continue to lose bristles because after spending nineteen dollars plus shipping and handling on it from Shave Nation, I really hate to think I'll have to replace the knot sooner rather than later. I find this disconcerting coming from a product made by Omega, which I understand has a fairly decent reputation. The brush performed so well in whipping up a great lather for my Oleo Very Cherry canard base.

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    I would contact Shave Nation ASAP. A few bristles at the beginning is not unheard of, but is should subside quickly thereafter.

14. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

My Omega 10066 was $14 with free shipping from Amazon. The handle is a little cheesy but who cares as the knot is simply terrific.

And $19 plus shipping is still probably an absolute bargain, compared to say a Simpson Chubby 3 in Super for $314. I really want that Simpson though!
    [​IMG]

15. Michael_W

Yeah this is the beauty I got from Shave Nation:

[​IMG]

It feels good in my hand and I like the finish—certainly a lot better than that on my two Vie-Longs, which is already wearing off after only six months.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.