Omega Pura Setola

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Turk, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Hog brush.jpg Okay, I'm totally in the fog on this one. A friend of mine dropped off a new Omega Pura Setola for me a couple weeks ago. I thought awesome because it was an Omega and lots of folks seem to have semi good reviews of it on the forum. I've got to tell ya, this brush sheds more than my cat! I think it is the 80265 model but I can't really tell. The Omega site calls it Badger Imitation Hog Bristle. Does that mean boar? This particular brush is probably the least expensive of the Omegas so is this indicative of their least expensive brush or could this just be a bad brush, a quality defect you might say?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

It's a boar brush. That's about all I can tell you about that particular model though.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'm going with defective brush. I've had a few Omegas and they have only shed about 3 hairs between the two of them in the last 6 months or more. Actually...if you factor in my wife's Omega boar the total comes up to 5 hairs lost for 3 brushes. They generally have very good quality, even on their more affordable brushes (I don't call them cheap because they tend to be well made).

americanshamrock and alpla444 like this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

:signs011: Ive got 3 Omega's one badger and 2 boars, and also a rubberset re-knotted with omega boar and I there has been less than 10 hairs lost between them all models are 10275,10049 and 6239 (so not top end by any means) the reknot is 27mm boar.
    I think you got a bad brush.
    I mean how often do you see a used Omega brush on Ebay?? It seens when you buy one you keep it.

americanshamrock likes this.
  5. Yavor09

Yavor09 New Member

I have a boar Omega Pura Setola for 6 mounts now and the performance is really satisfying. It hasn't shed a hair yet so I'm going with defective brush also.

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You know.. I remember a thread a while back discussing fake Omega brushes..could be that. If it's not fake or defective maybe you just didn't soak your brush. I find that boar needs to get really wet or the bristles will not flex and can break. Soaking for a few minutes in warm water really seems to do the trick...

7. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

I have an Omega "Pro" re-branded for Proraso (pictured in avatar), 11126, 21047 (mixed badger and boar), 6217 (black badger). They can shed the odd hair now and then, but mostly I find them rock solid regardless of the price paid. As stated above, you could just have a dud. I don't really get the hair designations though, My 21047 reads "pura setola" and it is most certainly a mix of badger and boar and was presented as such by the vendor.

8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Just sounds like a bad brush to me which happens; my Omega's don't shed.

9. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I'm going to go with the bad brush scenario. If I softly pull on the brush hair comes out. Must be a bad brush or one that has sat out in the sun for an extensive period of time. We have quite the sun out here in Az. I will have to go out and buy another Omega to add to my collection. Thanks everyone for the input.

10. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Have a combo Omega Badger and Boar. No problems. Might want to recontact your vendor for an exchange.

11. Sodapopjones

Go down to Penchetta Pen & Knife in North Scottsdale and tell Tony or Vanessa I sent you; they will get you setup. ;)

alpla444 likes this.
  12. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I have 3 Omega boar brushes and none of them shed. I would say it is a bad brush.

eric.

13. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Thanks Sodapopjones. I will try to get out there this week. This forum rocks!

14. Sodapopjones

While the name Sodapopjones makes Vanessa laugh, I'm pretty sure Tony prefers to call me Aaron lol ;)

tomnat, swarden43 and alpla444 like this.
  15. jaystone

jaystone New Member

My omega boar shed a few hairs the first month I had it, but the next 6 months, it has only shed maybe one or two strands.