Omega S-Brush Review from The Big Red Synthetic Boar PIF

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by KcHighLife, Jan 8, 2015.

1. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

SOTD 01/08/2015 and Omega S-Brush Review.

~ Handcrafted Green Tweed shave soap in a vintage Surrey mug.
    ~ Omega S-Brush, synthetic boar.
    ~ Gillette Early Tech loaded with a Bic blade.
    ~ Clinique moisturizer followed by a generous splash of Skin Bracer.

First off, I do not claim to be near as knowledgeable in reviewing brushes as most. In fact, it's kind of a weak point in my arsenal. Thanks @MoAllen for putting up such a generous PIF that even though done can be found here; http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/done-pif-big-red-omega-synthetic-boar.41835/

Anywho...here goes.

I've used this brush a few times now with this particular soap to try and give a fair review. Let me start by saying that this brush is big. Especially compared to my preference for medium to smaller brushes. It's a beast!
    It's a little bit on the "loose" end IMO, although this also could be because of my preference for smaller more "scritchy" brushes. I learned pretty quickly that it is much better to build a lather and paint it on my face. So, I built the lather on top of the puck in the vintage mug. This brush holds a lot of water even when shaken out so building the lather on top of the puck was no problem at all. With that said, it holds a lot of lather as well. Nice big, easy to grip handle as well.
    Now to the point, I really like this brush. It loads super easy, on the tips like you would a natural brush. And, cleans out just as easy. My oh my this brush dries quickly too! Nice and soft on the face so a real pleasure to use.
    The only real negative that I can see is my better half has been hearing me talk about the qualities and has started to eyeball it for her legs. Truth is, it would make a perfect brush for her to use on all the points I made above. We all know what that means right? It will most likely end up in the shower as her brush ;-)
    This brush has really opened up my eyes to synthetics. Of course I've seen them around and have contemplated purchasing in the past. But, now I am more serious about one than ever.
    Is the current favorite for these qualities still the Cade Plisson?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thanks for the review, Chris. These Omegas are great inexpensive boar brushes even though I don't like boar. :lyrtuy5:

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wonderful review Chris. Omega boar brushes are both inexpensive and good quality.

4. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Great review, Chris! Glad that you like the synthetic boar. It has the practical benefits of synthetic brushes but with the scritchiness that many boar brushes have.

So far as other synthetic brushes go, you will find that most of them are less scritchy than the synthetic boar. The Plisson is a soft brush that I like.

KcHighLife likes this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm curious what Gary @GDCarrington would think of this one. I've been considering a synthetic so I've been reading a lot of his reviews. I was leaning toward the Kent Infinity Silvertex for my price range, but they're awfully hard to find in stock.

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

7. gwsmallwood

JR Reyes likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This brush from everyone who has owned one has placed the feel test between a Generation 2 and Generation 3 due to the scritch factor. I am calling it a Generation 2.5 due to the input provided.

Reference the chart in the attached link.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-four-generations-of-synthetic-fibers-clarifications.37568/

Doryferon likes this.
  9. gwsmallwood

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

11. gwsmallwood

JR Reyes and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Peter Martin

Peter Martin New Member

The Omegas so far are fantastic with hard soaps and so much nicer than the VDH....

13. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Thanks for the review..I was wondering about that one. Omega also has a Hi-Brush line which is reputed to be pretty good with more of a regular synthetic feel. I just picked up a Plisson synth on super special and yes, it is soft...

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thank you!