On a budget

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tweezak, May 3, 2020.

1. Tweezak

Tweezak Member

Hey all. I'm back after a long hiatus.

I've had a career change that forces me to be more judicious with my expenditures of late. Quite inconveniently I over-tightened and broke the screw on my RazorRock. I could probably buy another one of those reasonably priced but I thought I would engage the hive-mind to see if there's something else I should consider as a replacement.

I waffle between bearded and clean shaven but still have to shave my neck which is rather sensitive if I shave frequently. In normal times if I only shave weekly before going to church then I have no problems.

So there you go. My issues laid bare for your consideration. I welcome all recommendations.

As far as a budget, I may consider spending up to $100 for a quality tool.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Pics of the broken razor?

Could it be fixed?

Oh, and I recommend a YUMA razor for the budget minded.

Of the 2xDozen or so razors I have, this gives me some of the best shaves.

Yes. I am serious

Daywalker likes this.
  3. Tweezak

Tweezak Member

I just discovered that RazoRock sells replacement heads. They have an aggressive and a mild head that I think will fit my handle each for $6.99. However, for $21.99 they have a razor that comes with both heads. If my handle fits the spare head then I'll have two razors!

Thanks for the suggestion, BlueShaver. I'll check out YUMA.

This could be a bad move starting a collection.

4. Tweezak

Tweezak Member

I've done some quick searching but no luck yet...do you have a lead on where to find a YUMA for sale?

5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

right around a hundred bucks, but you'll never need another razor, a Blackland Dart!

You can thank me later!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd recommend an open comb Gillette, perhaps a New, due to weekly shaves. Perhaps one of the open comb TTO models if you can find one that falls within your budget constraints.

Another good alternative would be a Fatboy. Cased examples seem to be going for less than a C note on ebay lately.

DaltonGang and johnnyflake like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If your budget is truly limited, I would just replace the broken head.

PLANofMAN likes this.