One door closes and another one opens

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Peter Cupitt, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Well I missed out on the Excellent PIF by Sontag (We should all thank his Dad for that really :cool: ) where he offered up a beautiful Gillette Slim '64. That Door Closed.
    The next Door Opened, as it would happen, about the same time, on the other side of the world (That would be Australia for you blokes in the US of A).
    A Mate of mine from work, Ray, was a contracted security guard at the large food manufacturing facility I work for, and the business decided to change the way we do site security (more work for Me :(). While we were catching up and saying our goodbyes on one of his last few rounds, I mentioned a post I had made on this site. Ray then asked if I was interested in "any old shaving gear like mugs and stuff". So I said sure, and we had a brief discussion about shaving in general. Ray is beyond Retirement age and was only doing the security role to help out, so he said he would drop in and see me on his last round, before ACTUALLY retiring.:)
    Well, Ray did drop in and did hand over the following, gratis, free of charge, for NADA because he thought I could maybe use it? Apparently, he thought I was a good bloke and was worthy of a "Thumbs Up"and "Thanks for everything" gift.
    IMAG0401.jpg IMAG0403.jpg IMAG0404sml.jpg IMAG0405sml.jpg
    An ENESCO Ceramic Shaving Scuttle (Only markings are the picture entitled "Old Coach House - Woolhampton), A Silver plated shaving mug (marked Empire Plate - A1 Quality E.P.N.S), A Boar Hair? brush exactly like the one I got from my Dad years ago (with just a fraction less paint left on it, but not by much), A Gillette adjustable G2 Fatboy and A Gillette adjustable L4 Slim.
    They were all in need of a bit of de-soaping and dust removal, so I got stuck in and when I was finished I am very happy with the result of a bit of elbow grease. All the items show a bit of age but are in great shape. HAPPY :shaver
    What a generous bloke he was !!! I have even had one test shave since, with the Fatboy on 5 and that was pretty smooth and easy with a Dorco blade in it and using Bluebeards Revenge shaving cream in the Enesco scuttle. WAY COOL Lather !!!
    The only way this could have been any better is if the slim happened to be a H1 (Birth-year Razor). Ah well, my elusive search continues. IF anyone has a H1 but is looking for a L4, I would easily do a swap ;)
    I am making a presentation case for the Cadet Razors I ordered recently and now I will be making a presentation case for the Fatboy and the Slim. I think I'll stick to the "Dueling Set" theme of presentation. Maybe I'll include a glove (For slapping and challenging?). "Shaving at 30 paces you scoundrel!!!" In line with MY quality rules for my "Shave Den" (read 3/64 of SWMBO's bathroom space), there will be no cheap nasty plastic involved, just cheap nasty other materials :think002:
    (Note the cheap and nasty Razor/brush holder in the photo, that I posted in another message thread, still, no plastic though)
    IF anyone knows more about what the Silver mug markings mean or the year of likely manufacture for the Silver Mug OR the Enesco Scuttle, I would very much appreciate your time to pass on the knowledge. More photos can be taken if they would help......cause they are all mine :signs136: Mine I say !!!!!!
    All you new guys starting out and getting RAD, don't stress ................ stuff happens and you WILL acquire stuff as you keep searching, sometimes while you aren't even searching :happy036:

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: "FANTASTIC" score!!! :)

3. Schwank

Schwank Member

WOW! nice stuff!!

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

If you were on this side of the world would come over and rub your head for luck! What a nice gesture by your friend!

Congrats and enjoy!!!!

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool!! Enjoy!!!

6. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Very SWEET score:happy069:

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Excellent! There is no doubt you are off to a great start in building your repertoire of quality shave gear!

8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Faith in humanity restored!

Very nice gift from that guy!

9. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

What a nice guy! Enjoy!

10. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

VERY nice!

11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Nice! Very generous gift!

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Sorry your friend had to go, but what a great parting gift.

13. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Yeah, He is a top bloke and to quote Tuxxdx
    I hope for Ray's sake that while one door has closed at my work, another will open for him too, real soon !!

BamaT likes this.