One Less Homeless Thuringain In The World

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Timwcic, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Got trapped in my workshop during a thunderstorm, so it's time to do a project. Went to the long ignored project pile of Straights and Brushes and decided to give a homeless Thuri a home. Found this stone a few years ago in a razor lot and has been sitting all this time until yesterday. Had some ziricote to match other boxes I made last year. Cut up all the pieces and glued up. Today I sanded it up to 400 grit and hit it on the buffing wheel with Tripoli and carnauba wax for the shine. Cut the box in half on a table saw sled. Some last finish sanding and hardware. One less homeless stone in the world

Attached Files:

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Live in the UK..Thuringian Hones are Plentiful..Cheap Some of Em Compared to the USA..I Have Two..They are Both Around the 16 + Mark or 17 K + with a Bit of User Finesse..But..I Can Tell Ya..I have Good Ones..A Lot of Em are Scraping the 10/1/2 K Mark..Regrdless of Forum Talk they Vary a Lot..Both of Mine are as Consistent as Synthetics & Some are Consistent as a House Brick..:)

If You have a Good One they are Superb Hones..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

3. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Nice box and nice stone, and even a matching slurry stone!

I am fond of the yellow-green and the lightgreen eshers, they result in a nice, soft edge! The darker eshers are a tad more agressive, some say a tad sharper? But i wont put a grit on a natural stone!

4. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I have a few Thuris and I also find some produce a mellower edge than others. Two of my favorites, a Y/G and a B/G I like to use after a Coti edge starts to tug.

Billyfergie likes this.