One Thing You Really Want In Your Den?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Matt0210, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Whether it's brushes, a new soap, scuttle, or razor. What one thing do you really want in your den but for some reason haven't gotten or can't afford to get?

I really want to get a badger brush to see what all the hype is about. I have a good boar brush but really want to get a badger. Just hard to settle on what kind I want. With all the choices out there, best, pure, synthetic, just can't make up my mind.

2. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Hmm good question. I want to buy a high end safety razor. Something either of high quality material or just luxury style. Probably something over $60. I've been eyeing that gold Edwin Jagger for a while now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Google "Plissoft Razorock", place order.

BAD done.

In answer to your question, a vintage AAAA grade restored or even NOS antique straight razor. Just for fun though, were I to be honest with myself, I could shave for a few years on current gear. I have totally fallen in love with shavettes as a daily plan, so a professional quality shavette will likely happen in 2017. The two shavettes I have are both low end ($11 and $7), they shave quite well...but they are showing wear and tear after less than a hundred uses.

4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Just one thing?? Wow...that's just hard to pin down. I guess it would have to be sonething pricey, since I could get a soap any fay of the week.

I have wanted a delta echo razor fatboy for awhile and a charcoal goods razor.

I already own a wilf whiskets brush, but its jyst so darn hard to get on the wait list... i guess i can put that on here too.

I could go on, but we will stop wirh those three...........

5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

For me, it would be a choice between a high quality adjustable DE or a scuttle. I recently started shaving with cold water and you said we could only pick one thing, so in that case, I guess I'd go with the razor. I had a few days of beard growth today and the whole time I was shaving, I kept thinking how nice an adjustable would've been to accommodate each pass with the perfect level of aggression.

I'll also second the suggestion to pick up a Plissoft. I prefer the Whipped Dog synthetic knots but I still use my Plissoft a whole lot, and it's the right balance of everything to satisfy just about anyone. I've seen plenty of people forsake their badger brushes after trying a Plissoft and considering how inexpensive it is, it's absolutely worth picking one up.

6. Matt0210

IMG_0515.JPG Thanks Bama and Demidog! Synthetic for only $9.99. Just couldn't resist haha

Carbide Mike, RyX, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

When I started, I went out and bought the best quality badger brushes I could find. I spent hundreds of dollars. I tried a synthetic about 2 months later, which cost $14 by the way. I never looked back. I only have one badger that I use now and about 5 synthetics. I use the badger once or twice a month... maybe.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You'll love it. My Plisson for daily use is the same knot. It never occurs to me to buy another brush, as it really is excellent.

9. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've just got the one thing I wanted most - an Ever Ready Streamline SE. Amazing. I would like to try a Fatboy, I suppose and see how it compares to my Slim.

Matt0210, twhite and Demidog like this.
  10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

For me, its a Wolf Whiskers brush. The only reason I dont have one is because I havent been able to get on the wait list yet.

Demidog and Matt0210 like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have one, and would like to get a second for my fiancée...

But if I could have only one thing, it would be a vintage, fully restored, barber chair.

Unfortunately, lack of money and space limitations prevent that. :)

Matt0210, twhite, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would like to add a nice Rose Shave Cream to the den. It's not a ton of money, but I told myself no more soap or cream purchases until I use up some of the current inventory.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You still have your big Gillette blue dispenser?

Matt0210 likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd be happy with a regular-sized aftershave from William Neumann&Co. I had a few of the samples, but could only say, "They're great, but too much money for the big boys".

Matt0210 likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

hey, the top got cut off.

Matt0210, AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  16. Matt0210

The top of the email? I had to cut it off cause it's got my name and address on it lol

Paul Turner and AGHisBBS like this.
  17. Paul Turner

ahhhh, this explains this. :cool:

Matt0210 likes this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

A Feather AS-D2 razor, if that was in my price range *sigh*

Matt0210 likes this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

When you do buy, check out soap commander love.

Matt0210, PanChango and Paul Turner like this.
  20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The Plissoft is a wonderful brush. For the price and quality you can't go wrong. I think you will like it, feels soft on the skin but has plenty of backbone for loading soaps.

Matt0210 and Demidog like this.