Oneblade Core

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ninjack, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I saw a video last week from a Youtube shaver about a new version of the Oneblade single edge razor that is on sale right now. It's called the Oneblade Core and is a plastic version (Tritan plastic) of the stainless steel Oneblade. The Core model is selling for $49 right now regularly $69. I have been wanting to try the Oneblade after watching a lot of video reviews of it. I just couldn't bring myself to spend $400 on the stainless steel version. I hope it is as good a shave as people say the stainless version is. If so, I will be happy. They are due to ship on June 9th from Austin Texas.
    OneBlade_CORE_2000x.jpg

Boojum1, dkeester, MR41 and 3 others like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Looking forward to your review.

ninjack and dkeester like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I ordered one as well. Like you I had wanted to give it a try but not at the price point of the stainless model.

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I ordered as well, and since the Gem situation is unknown at best, ordered the ridiculously overpriced Feathers from OneBlade (as Connaught wouldn't let me check out with US address). I have to admit I feel a little dirty.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Boojum1, ninjack, dkeester and 2 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I plan on using the 10 blades in the package and trying out Gem blades. Hopefully if Gem blades work then I will be very happy. If not, I will sign up for Oneblade subscription plan of $20 a month for 30 blades and run it until I get a couple of hundred blades.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I know. But still 3x what I paid for Blue Stars. Gonna have to be pretty spectacular.

clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Oh I agree. At least it gets closer to what Connaught would charge for the FHS-10 blades. I really am hopeful that the Gem blades will work with some trimming.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  9. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Why's that? Because they won't sell the Feather blades to US customers? If so, that's ridiculous!

RaZorBurn123 and clint64 like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If I lived in NYC it would make sense to fly to London to pick up a few hundred from Connaught. Like buying a car in Sweden. Ironic given it's a Japanese blade.

clint64 likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's Feather's distribution agreement. The only eBay seller currently in Sweden.

clint64 likes this.
  12. ninjack

Thanks! I hope it shaves as good as all the reviews have said. I'm thinking about doing the subscription plan for the blades as well, maybe 30 blades every other month. That would be $20 every other month, if I am understanding it correctly. I would also like to find some alternative blades that can be modified to try. Most of the reviews I have seen or read say the blades are only good for 3 shaves at most and you notice a difference in sharpness after each shave, so it may not be my daily shaver (even if it is that good). Unless I can find a slightly cheaper blade to use, it will just be used in rotation with other razors. I'm very excited to be getting it anyway. I like the looks of it and have never tried a single edge safety razor. I think I'm going to be happy with it.

RaZorBurn123, Keithmax and clint64 like this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I'm a committed OneBlade user. After getting an email from OneBladeShave, I ordered a OneBlade CORE. Mosty as a travel razor. I have a Stainless V1 which accepts and holds GEM blades which I use exclusively. I have been reluctant to travel with it due to its cost. I have more than 200 FHS-10 blades. The last hundred were purchased from Connaught before they stopped shipping them to the US. If the GEM blades don't fit I'll be OK with the FHS-10 blades. I can get a couple of good shaves from one.

RaZorBurn123, ninjack and clint64 like this.
  14. ninjack

That's great! Glad you are loving your Oneblade. I think I will love it, too. If you are getting 2 good shaves from the Feather blades, how many do you get from the GEM blades? More than 2? I am hoping there is a way to use the modified blades in the new Oneblade Core, but if not I have no problem buying the Feathers. I usually use a de blade for 3 to 4 shaves before replacing it with a new blade, although I have had as many as 8 or 9 shaves with the same de blade. It's hard for me to just use them once even if they are cheap de blades. I try to all the use out of them I can, while still getting a good shave.

RaZorBurn123 and clint64 like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I was intrigued enough to order one. :)

RaZorBurn123, clint64 and ninjack like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You inspired me, I ordered one too. Very curious to try it out.

17. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I also ordered one, mostly because I've got a pretty good stock of FHS-10 blades and only one razor that uses them--a Valet Auto Strop. If I can work the OneBlade into a light rotation, there's a chance I'll get through the blades during my lifetime.

18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I just ordered mine.

19. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

Well I'm in too.
    If it turns out to be close to being as good as their Genesis then I will be putting up the rest of my collection for sale.
    The iKon El Jefe will be the first.
    I just used it last night with a Feather ProGuard.
    OMG my face looked like a war zone.
    I haven't seen that much blood from shaving since... well I haven't seen that much ever.
    The first blade I used was a Kai Captain Titan Mild.
    It wasn't pretty either.
    I'm thinking of doing a write up on it [I bought it after watching the videos of it so I know about getting the blade to line up].
    Well enough of a rant about the El Jefe for now.
    Looking forward to getting the Core but it looks like I will have to wait for the next batch to ship.

clint64 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like the concept but not the blade option. I tried for years to get a good shave from a Valet with the feather blade and just could not make it work. Once I retro'd Gem blades to fit I was able to get a decent shave. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how things go and how you guys like it but I would have to try one before I would make a purchase.

clint64 and McHale like this.