Online Shave Videos

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Robert1955, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

As per Title, are they helful?, Do you watch them, are they getting sponsorship ?.

I have watched quite a few, I have generally found bits helpful, I am suspicious of the fact no one really slates or gives poor reviews to anything...discuss :)

BigMark83, BigD, Shaver X and 4 others like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Watch some of mine (ordinaryshaver) and @wchnu shaving with fuzzy.
    I went into a diatribe about the cremo sandalwood cream that would not lather, as well as the follow up to the product.
    As far as sponsors, I don't now, nor have I ever been given something to try just because, from a particular vendor save the cremo, and only then because I reached out to them about a bad batch .
    The green mountain soap was not through the vendor either, but I can provide details if you wish via PM.
    Fuzzy is basic, no hoodoo, no voodoo no magic simple stuff that works.
    Hope that answers your question.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I enjoy making a few videos. Noone pays me to use their stuff. I show it like it is. I even made marvys and scalp master work.

It is fun to see how different people do things. Thanks for the shout out @ordinaryshaver.

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I watched a lot of videos when I started in wet shaving. They're very helpful to watch lathering techniques, shave techniques, post shave philosophies, etc.

BigD, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i watch a few like paul h, and others, mainly for other peoples take on products , razors and such.its as close to seeing them in action without purchasing first.. most good stuff is only available on line. lots of learning and other stuff,i have found some products seldom talked about here and had good results. some people learn from watching others, and videos have helped me a great deal..

BigD, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

1. I think most of the guys doin the videos make sure they get everything to work well before they shoot or post the video.
    2. Most of the reviews are done on decent if not great equipment and soap/ creams. Any “cons” come down to preference. Even Williams works if you work with it.

Frijolero, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  7. Robert1955

Yes, true...when I came back to wet shaving I bought a £5 razor a £3 brush and a wilkinson sword puck of soap...I never dreampt the expense that CAN occur :-D

Frijolero, MR41, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    They were a great deal of fun for me 5 years ago. Interesting and I did learn a lot. Haven't watched one in about 4 years.

BigD, Frijolero and brit like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

To be fair, I don't claim to know anything about shaving, or video production, or the online stuff.
    I like to shave, and I figured that since I tend to use more SE than DE stuff, there is a bit if a niche market. That's why I do it.
    I find folks that like similar products that I like and I can also live vicariously through them and save my money since I have seen it used I don't have to buy it.

Robert1955, BigD, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  10. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I didn't watch many early on. That all changed recently when I started tinkering with straight razors. Without some visual coaching, I probably never would have taken the plunge.

BigD, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I made a video years ago for my son. Since then I have made 31 shaving videos and a few videos about razors and shaving related stuff. I only make a video when I do something kind of new to me. I am not sponsored, nor do I take anything for my videos. I do it just for the fun of it.

Here is one I made recently with the Gillette Techmatic:

This is my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/jayaruh47/

BigMark83, BigD, brit and 2 others like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

They are a good source of information.
    But ultimately, you are in control.
    You can't learn to drive a car by watching videos, but they do help. You have to get behind the wheel or razor to learn how, to be proficient.
    Practice, is the best teacher.
    Good luck
    tp

BigD, brit and Frijolero like this.
  13. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I love watching shave videos. No politics, no hate, and nothing but someone chit chatting about life and the good parts of it.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you were in Baton Rouge I would buy you a beer... well said.

BigD, Frijolero, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i think they help more than reading about how to drive a car..but you are correct sir, only practice is the best teacher..

BigD, Frijolero and Terry like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

you bet..well said..

BigD, Frijolero and Terry like this.
  17. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I like some, but a lot of them over lather and overload their brushes. But there are a few i follow and enjoy. There was one guy that was kind of crazy and you could tell he had already shaved before making the video. I saw another guy who was reviewing williams, this guy did a super weak lather grabs his razor and made a fast hacking motion at his cheek, there was no way he wasnt going to cut himself, it was actually kind of scary to watch, but after that first swing and cut, he declares williams is garbage and tosses it in the trash. You could tell he went into the review with his mind made up and he was going to cut himself to prove how bad it was.

brit, wchnu, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

there are some who just shave and show the new stuff they got and have a great time doing it. i am a paul h fan, like his vids, kensurfs,couple of others..love the shave den tours and shaving shop tours as well..

Frijolero and Robert1955 like this.
  19. ordinaryshaver

It's like having a glimpse into someone's life for a little bit.
    Some folks once a week, others twice, etc.
    I don't get worked up about product this or product that, I just like to see what they use and then relax while watching them shave.

brit, Frijolero and Robert1955 like this.
  20. Robert1955

Well from the responses so far it seems the videos are appreciated and informative.
    I follow " Kevy Shaves " ...he is from Dundee, Scotland, his new vid out today is about a personalised brush he got from a shave company...very nice too.

brit, CrustyCat, BigD and 1 other person like this.