Open comb for a first razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Porter, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

I've got a friend who's wanting to get into wet shaving, so I've lent him a couple of my soaps to get him started. He wants to get a DE, but I've only shaved with straights, so I'm out of my area. He's got a fast growing thick beard, and he doesn't shave every day, so I'm wondering if an open comb like the HTGAM symmetry might work as a first razor for him? Or maybe some other middle of the road OC? Thanks for the help.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I see no reason why it wouldn't be a good choice, if your buying a new razor? A really good one is Edwin Jagger DE89. Also get a blade sample pack.

3. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Thanks Razorburn, most of what I've read about open combs is about the Fatip grande and R41, so I wasn't sure if OC's in general were a little too aggressive for beginners. Good to hear though, I'll let him know.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Both the Fatip & R41 are on the more aggressive side for a beginner. A vintage Gillette OC or a Merkur 1904 is what I'd recommend for a person new to wetshaving.

BigMark, fram773 and SRNewb like this.
  5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I started out with an OC. The Merkur 15C.

Worked fine after some trial and error I would have had to go through anyway.

6. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Parker 24c/26c is also a nice mild OC for a beginner.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

If he must have an open comb a vintage Gillette "NEW" LC (LC=long comb/ SC=short comb) or a new Cadet, Maggard or Parker OC are also good choices, I use a vintage "NEW and a Cadet OC.. The LC is considered the milder between the two LC & SC.

If he just wants a mild, efficient daily use razor then I would suggest either a vintage Gillette "Fat Handle Tech", a new EJ89 with a lined handle or a Merkur 34C HD. All three are "VERY" good shavers and give or have given me consistent close, irritation free shaves "YMMV".

Your friend needs to understand that only actually trying a safety razor can determine positively if it will work with his face and technique. That said the above razors are considered to be on the mild end of the spectrum by most people who have used them. :happy088:

8. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I recommend he start with an Edwin Jagger DE89, it was my first DE and I still love using it.

9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I started with a Merkur 1904. There's no reason to fear an OC, provide you do your research and respect the razor/blade.

tuxxdk and GDCarrington like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Just because it is an open comb, doesnt mean it is aggressive. I find the Merkur OC razors to be on the mild side.

GDCarrington and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

The Merkur 1904 is IMO the most comfortable best shaving DE I've ever used. And I say that having abandoned DEs for SEs/injectors. I would still use one if it weren't for the slippery handle and if it were made from brass.oh and it is also one of the mildest.

12. Sgt.Beardface

Sgt.Beardface Member

I have a PIF going right now for a Merkur 34C. If you would like to enter on your friends behalf just let me know.

Porter and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Your friend will do fine! TSD would be an excellent place for him to get advice, and meet our members.
    Kerry

14. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

On the mild end, there's the Gillette New, a Merkur 1904, or a Parker 24/26c. If wanting something in the middle, then the Cadet OC/RR Jaws. If a little more, then the Fatip, but for the most, the R41.

15. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass it on to him. I'll see if he wants in on that PIF, Beardface, good of you to offer. This is a great place for new wet shavers, I'll be sure to let him know about it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.