Open Comb / Single Edge commonality?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Etoyoc, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It has been noted a few times recently that the SE crowd tend to like DE open-comb razors. As a primarily DE open-comb razor, I also tend to like SE razors. I started wondering today about what is it about the OC DE and the SE razors that cause the overlap in style/interest?

Any ideas?

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think a lot is the coolness factor..also they are of an age for the most part. I personally think the shave feels a lot alike. Pick a reason.. But I for one am a Gemlican who also likes my OCDE razors.

3. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I'm thinking it's the fact that the shave feels very similar. I've tried the SS and tech, it just doesn't get it done for me. Oh yeah, and the cool factor :happy005

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Don't forget all the peer pressure from fuzzy. That has to count for something.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am a little angel I tell you an ANGEL
    ::angelic004:angelic010

6. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Take a look at the NY ballparks from way back. See all the GEM ads? That's not revolution, that's as establishment as they come.

Gem was pinstripes, button down, Manhattan. Yankees. Gillette was guys beating each other to a pulp on Friday nights. :D

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

But they built the best shaving instruments of all time. just IMO

8. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Oh I've got more than Da Bunny giving me peer pressure. He ain't the only razor pushing bad guy in here. I just wish he'd give up that AV ;)

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

i will NEVER ever ever give up the AV :D

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yeah this comparison has been mentioned a few times. i myself just like aggresive razor.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I shaved for the first time with a Single ring this morning... VEDDY VEDDY nice shave. The pat date on it is 1904 and there is not S/N so I will call it a 1904. ( If you read other places that I post you will already have seen that sorry) I used a regular ole Wally World ASR blade. It worked great folks.

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

if i recall, it was a 1909 i think.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

How do you tell with no S/N and the pat date of 1904?

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the patent date may be on the inner barrel if its not anywhere else.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Is is on the outside of the handle at the bottom Nov 15 04.

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

oops, i meant the SN :ashamed001

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

See i learn somenew everyday.. I see it now.. grrrr . Thanks Dave for the info. Yup 1909..I like it.., now I have to correct myself.. Next time I will just listen to what I am told......nahhhhhh :D

I do really like this thing by the way :D

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

:eatdrink004

19. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I'm a bit late to this thread about the SE/Open Comb users. For me it is the enjoyment of a good shave that directs me more toward the SE/Open Comb razors. Nothing really against the newer straight bar razors but to me the older OC and SE razors shave better and are a lot more fun to use.