Open comb slants

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The first of my vintage open comb slants has arrived. :D Here are some pictures to temporarily satisfy people's curiosity. I will shave with it in the morning and share details.

The only marking on the razor is "Made in Germany" on the handle. The case is only marked "Germany" The used blades that were left in the blade container are U1 Gillette Blue Blades if that helps date it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Does anyone see any reason I should not have it Rhodium plated? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Very nice!

I say go for it. As long as you aren't going to re-sell it at any point. Unless you end up selling it to one of us in the future who will understand what and why it is plated the way it is.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Of course. I plan to die with this one, but if I were to ever sell, full disclosure is always my belief.

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

better not drop that thing. for some reason it looks extremely fragile :)

5. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Yes, go for it and return it to full shining glory.

6. Wow.
    Beautiful, man. As long as you're not planning to donate it to the Smithsonian, I'd say go ahead and have it replated.
    I concur with Bong. Make it shiny.

I don't really collect razors (a matter of opinion, perhaps?), so original condition means nothing to me. Like the rest of my primate brethren, I like the shiny.
    If it ain't shiny, I ain't shaving with it. :D

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The second of the open comb slants I was expecting has arrived. This one is composed almost entirely of Bakelite. The only metal part is the post that screws in to the handle. It is made by a company called Fasan out of Germany. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story. Check tomorrows SOTD for shave details.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

When you first mentioned this razor I started searching Fasan on different eBay sites. I found that Solingen made razor blades that carried that same Fasan markings and name.

The image is from an eBay auction for a blade wrapper...

[​IMG]

so I would assume that the Fasan rasor was also a Solingen product.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Cool. The box features a Pheasant standing on a razor blade marked Fasan. I wonder what other products they made. Interesting note, the literal translation of fasan is pheasant.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I guess they were trying to convey how swift the blades/razor was?

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

I have that one one in dark brown. I also have an interesting take in the the slant called Heredia. Sorry for the bad pictures. Note the edges are parallel.

12. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

any pics with the blade inside it Rodd?

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

No, I am not using this rusted blade in it tomorrow. ;)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

here are some shots of the open comb Merkur slant I scored the other day. This one was just dumb luck, I couldn't tell if it was a slant on ebay, but put in a bid and it worked out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

:1respect:1respect

Wow... you just keep racking these up!

Very nice!