Opinions on L'Occitane

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by msandoval858, Mar 29, 2007.

1. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

The new Domain shopping center just opened up here in Austin and I found out we have a L'Occitane store there. Not familiar with their stuff. Read a few reviews that seemed overall positive, but thought I'd see what ya'll think.

Any must haves I need to go pick up?

2. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

The only must-have, in my opinion, is the Cade shaving soap without the stainless dish which will stain. It has a light, earthy fragranced some love and others find uninspiring. Performance wise, it is on par with the best of the best.

The only thing you have to avoid like the plague is the Cade shaving cream. It sucks so much it makes children cry.

You may or may not love their edt.

3. DavidUK

DavidUK New Member

Of the L'Occitane I've tried :

I used the shaving cream twice so far, and the first time I really couldnt get much of a lather and wasn't impressed. Second time I used much more cream and it produced an adequate lather. Not particularly recommended.

The aftershave balm is their best selling mens product I'm told. And I found it ok but I'm not much into balms.

The mens scents Vetiver etc are liked by many guys but not me. Try a tester in the shops and make your own mind up.

The Shea Butter Hand Cream is a must, especially for the wife, it is very good and I use it before bed quite alot. Tho it smells a bit girlie.

The body wash is ok and so is the hand wash but only if you find a scent you really like.

But everything is down to personal taste of course.

David

4. msandoval858

Thanks for the info. I sense another soap buy in my near future.

5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

The soap is one of the best available. Of their scents....I own Eau des Baux, Eau du Badian, Vetyver, and Green Tea. I enjoy all of them. Coming into Spring/Summer......Eau du Badian, and the Green Tea are good bets!!!

6. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Have the Cade soap and the Vetyver EDT. Love both. As said, they have testers for all their fragrances, so it's an easy test to see if you want to buy or not.

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I have tried several of their products and have been happy with ALL of them.
    Cade cream
    Cade ASB
    Shea Butter
    different bath soaps.

It's ALL good.

8. msandoval858

Yeah... but you're easy. That doesn't count :rofl

9. xChris

xChris Member

I have Vetyver, 4 Voleurs, and Eau de Baux in their EdTs, and they are all powerful scents with very good atomizers on the bottles. I've got the matching body washes for each.

I have the CADE soap, but am not that impressed with it (definitely YMMV here). I do really like their CADE aftershave splash though.

10. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

I thought it sucked

11. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

The CADE soap and A/S splash are both fantastic products, if you have the opportunity to buy them locally it would be criminal not to. I would second the advice about not buying the soap with the bowl though; sure it looks great when its new, but it gets tarnished very easily and ends up being a bit of an eyesore.
    I also have the CADE balm, this is definitely a YMMV product. It has a very heavy consistency but it does tend to absorb quite well IMO.
    As for their other products, EDT's are good as long as you like the scents but some of their skincare products are somewhat overpriced and under performing.
    Regards,
    Alex

12. msandoval858

Well, the CADE soap and AS splash are the two things I was initially thinking about picking up.

As for the EDT's, I'll probably have my wife there with me, so while I'll be sampling their offerings it's not likely I'll get to bring one home without a fight :scared001

:D

13. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

I really like their Vetyver edt.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Cade soap is very good, although it gave me a drying feeling at one point. The cream version is good for the garbage.

15. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

I agree 100% -Great soap, one of the best, unfortunately I have a reaction to it and got some light burning. Damm good shaves thou.I think the dish is aluminum.

16. Will

Will Nevermind

I remember the cream being crap, and the ASB being around the style of DVH.

Have not tried the soap though but I hear good things. CADE scent is nice.

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

That explains it, I was wondering why you decided to part with it..Thanks for the great deal on it Jim..

I am liking the soap too so far, have yet to sample their other offerings but they have a boutique 3 miles away ;)

18. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Glad you are enjoying it !

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I use their 100% pure shea butter on a regular basis for various things (ie Lip balm).

20. murchmb

murchmb Member

The CADE soap is fantastic and I really like the metal bowl. I wipe it down after use and have yet to see any problems with it.

I had the Cade balm in sample form and used it for a while. It was nice, but a bit on the heavy side. More of a winter product for me.

The shea hand cream is unsurpassed IMO. This was another product I used for some time in sample form and would buy if it weren't for the price.