Opinions on Mach3 variants

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Jerry-built Hustler, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Interesting write-up - even though there was no firm conclusion :)

engrsaks likes this.
  2. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Two more shaves, one with base M3, one with M3T. When used a day apart, rather than side by side, I really couldn't tell any appreciable difference between them. To be continued...

engrsaks and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks. I'm following along with interest :)

engrsaks and Jerry-built Hustler like this.
  4. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

*Suspense intensifies*

Jerry-built Hustler and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  6. Jerry-built Hustler

I'm going to keep an open mind and remain objective, but I'm honestly not expecting any big surprises at this point.

engrsaks likes this.
  7. engrsaks

Whatever may be the result, it will be exciting. :) . I believe this is the only source on the internet where a person is actually testing the differences in two versions of Mach-3.

8. engrsaks

But, at times, I do wonder, why @MicBaldy likes only Mach-3 sensitive cartridges. And why only sensitive cartridges give him a smooth shave.

9. engrsaks

Mach-3 Power vs. Mach-3 manual handle comparison

Just wanted to share my experience and observations on these two handles. It isn't a cartridge comparison post.

• For most gents, there is no remarkable improvement when using the handle with vibrations but in my case, there was a significant reduction in sandpaper effect.
    • I compared the two methods of shaving by switching on/off the vibrations and used one style on single side of my face. The cartridge used was Mach-3 original.
    • Decrease in sandpaper effect resulted in better glide, of course. But it doesn't stop there, repeated strokes with manual handle can easily cause irritation (2-3 strokes) but that doesn't happen easily when done with vibrating handle (4-5 strokes).
    • Vibrating handle performed way better than manual on my chin area. It didn't glide like Proglide, but I would prefer Mach-3 Power if I need a comfortable shave and don't have proglide with me.
    • I personally like the "massaging sensation" that comes with vibrating handle. :p
    This lad was literally blown away by the performance of M3 power. :)

10. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comparison - I definitely prefer the power handle whether it be the Mach3, ProGlide or Hydro5. Once in a while I'll shave manually to remember what that's like, but I always return to the power feature. It impacts my shave pleasantly, smoothingly, and makes the shave feel effortless and fun.

11. Jerry-built Hustler

Word of warning to anyone hapless enough to click on this video in the vain hope that someone literally was blown away by an exploding razor: it's just some late-teen/early-twenty-something douche wielding a Mach3, while his friends watch, one of whom is shirtless and sporting man boobs. I had to stop watching after 30 seconds, and even that was too long.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    engrsaks likes this.
  12. Jerry-built Hustler

Back on topic. Two more shaves, results same as before. I'll keep reporting for the life of the carts (as of now, I've only shaved three times with each), but I'm not seeing why differences should become evident past this point. Aside from the different fins, there is no structural difference between the base M3 and the M3T. The only other difference would be the blade coatings, if that even is a difference. Assuming for a second that the M3T does use different coatings than the base M3 (which I doubt), those differences should be most apparent in the first few shaves. As the coatings wear off, any advantages presented by the coatings would also wear off.

To look at it another way, both cartridges feel like a Mach3. I can tell immediate differences between a DE, a Trac II, an Atra, a Sensor, a Mach3, and a Fusion. I may want to compare different models to see which I prefer, but I don't need to try to discern what the differences are. They're obvious. The differences between the M3 and the M3T are, at most, extremely subtle, and quite possibly non-existent. Unless something changes over the next few shaves, I feel comfortable buying one or the other according to price and aesthetic preference, both of which, for me, favor the base M3.

Leo K. likes this.
  13. engrsaks

Thank you for the input on the video, Mr. Nathan. Its a shame that you gave less attention to remarks on the razor and more to the surrounding.

14. Jerry-built Hustler

I'm not a fan of vibrating handles. I have used both the M3 and Fusion Power handles. They weren't my cup of tea. So while I appreciate your observations, I didn't feel like I had much to add to that aspect of the discussion.

engrsaks likes this.
  15. engrsaks

No problem, Sir. I apologize for steering the main discussion off the topic. I should have taken your permission first or started another thread.

16. Jerry-built Hustler

No problem. I think your observations contribute to the topic, even if they are a slight digression. They're still on the topic of Mach3 variants. I just didn't have anything to add. Hence, the "like" I gave your post, despite that video. ;)

engrsaks likes this.
  17. engrsaks

So, at this point, is it safe to say that "improved blade coating" is nothing more than a marketing term?

18. engrsaks

Alright, I would like to report a difference here between M3 original and M3 power (not sensitive). I already have shaved 10 times with M3 power cartridge (green colored) and it is still not giving me any sensation of tugging. I will go for 11th shave with it today. When it comes to Mach-3 original, I can never get past 8th shave. One more point that needs a good deal of attention, this Mach-3 power cartridge was made back in 2004. Does this mean, mach 3 was a better blade in the past than it is now?

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. Jerry-built Hustler

No.

engrsaks likes this.
  20. Jerry-built Hustler

To elaborate, there is no way to draw any reliable conclusions from the anecdotal observations of a single person using a single cartridge. There are countless possible reasons why you perceive the Power cart as having better longevity than a base M3 cart. We could speculate which reason is in play, but we have no real way of knowing.

engrsaks likes this.